Hôtel de Ville - Bruxelles - Bruxelles-Capitale
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 50° 50.798 E 004° 21.128
31U E 595189 N 5633641
Quick Description: [FR] L'Hôtel de Ville, également connu sous le nom de l'Hôtel de Ville et le Stadhuis, est situé à Bruxelles, en Belgique. [EN] The Hôtel de Ville, also known as the Town Hall and the Stadhuis, is located in Brussels, Belgium.
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Date Posted: 3/1/2018 6:04:29 AM
Waymark Code: WMXV9K
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Michaelfiles
Views: 10

Long Description:
[FR]
"L'hôtel de ville de Bruxelles est un édifice de style gothique et classique situé sur la Grand-Place de Bruxelles en Belgique, au sud de la place. Il fait face à la Maison du Roi.

Il constitue le seul vestige médiéval de la Grand-Place et est considéré comme un chef-d'œuvre de l'architecture gothique civile et plus particulièrement du gothique brabançon.

Historique

L'hôtel de ville est constitué de deux parties stylistiquement très différentes :

l'hôtel de ville de style gothique construit au xve siècle le long de la Grand-Place (avec un retour le long de la rue Charles Buls);
une extension de style classique construite au xviiie siècle, constituée de trois ailes disposées en U à l'arrière de l'édifice gothique, le long de la rue de l'Amigo, de la rue de la Tête d'or et de la rue Charles Buls.

Historique de l'hôtel de ville gothique

L'hôtel de ville gothique a été construit au xve siècle, en trois temps:

- l'aile gauche et la base de la tour furent édifiées de 1401 à 1421 en remplacement de l'ancienne maison des échevins : les architectes en étaient Jacques van Thienen (élève du hennuyer Jean d'Oisy, fondateur du gothique brabançon), le bourguignon Jean Bornoy et G. Vander Broecke;

- l'aile droite, dont la première pierre fut posée par Charles le Téméraire, fut édifiée de 1444 à 1449 et serait l'œuvre de Guillaume de Vogel qui était l'architecte de la ville de Bruxelles en 1452 et qui fut l'auteur de la Magna Aula du palais de Philippe le Bon;

- la partie supérieure et la flèche de la tour dont l'édification fut assurée par Jean van Ruysbroeck de 1449 à 1455.

Historique des ailes de style classique

Le bombardement de la ville par les troupes françaises commandées par le maréchal de Villeroy, en août 1695, endommagea l'hôtel de ville et détruisit la « Halle au Drap » située derrière celui-ci, le long de la rue de l'Amigo.

L'hôtel de ville fut réparé et agrandi par l'architecte-sculpteur bruxellois Corneille van Nerven. Celui-ci édifia également les trois ailes de style classique (style Louis XIV) d'un nouvel édifice sur les ruines de la « Halle au Drap », de 1706 à 1717. Jusqu'en 1795, ces ailes abritèrent non pas l'administration communale mais les États du Brabant.

Les restaurations du xixe siècle

L'hôtel de ville a subi de nombreuses campagnes de restauration tout au long du xixe siècle, sous la direction de Tilman-François Suys à partir de 1840 et de Victor Jamaer à partir de 18602, en vue du bicentenaire de la réédification de la Grand-Place en 1696-1697, bicentenaire fêté le 26 juin 1897.

C'est à cette époque que furent réalisées la plupart des statues de l'Hôtel de Ville.

En effet, avant le xixe siècle, l'hôtel de ville n'était pas orné comme maintenant d'innombrables statues, à part les culs de lampe, les statues des huit prophètes et quelques statues aux tourelles d'angle. Comme on peut le lire dans Le patrimoine monumental de la Belgique. Bruxelles, vol. 1AB, p. 126 : "Sur des gravures de 1564, 1606, 1646 et 1650, les façades principales des deux ailes montrent des niches vides de statues, excepté celles du portail d'entrée, du 2e registre de la tour et de la tourelle de l'angle N.-O." et p. 128 : "on travaille à la façade principale de l'aile E. entre 1860 et 1867.

C'est Jamaer qui refit la façade en y ajoutant des niches inexistantes, qui fit la galerie et le perron pour lequel il demanda l'avis de Violet le Duc.

Entre 1844 et 1902 furent exécutées plus de cent cinquante statues en pierre de Caen et d'Echaillon.

Les statues des prophètes situées au-dessus du porche, qui se délitaient, furent déposées au Musée communal de Bruxelles et remplacées par des copies, de même que de nombreux culs de lampe et les chapiteaux de la Maison de l'Estrapade, de la Maison de la Cave aux Moines et de la Maison du Maure.

Les autorités, avaient consulté à l'époque Victor Hugo -alors en séjour à Bruxelles et grand admirateur de la Grand-Place où il habita- décidèrent sur l'avis du poète d'imiter l'Hôtel de Ville de Louvain et de demander à des sculpteurs de remplir la façade qui en était dépourvue, de statues romantiques rappelant des personnages du Moyen Âge.

Le classement

L'hôtel de ville fait l'objet d'un classement au titre des monuments historiques depuis le 9 mars 1936."

--Wikipedia (visit link)

[EN]
"The Town Hall (French: Hôtel de Ville, Dutch: Stadhuis) of the City of Brussels is a Gothic building from the Middle Ages. It is located on the famous Grand Place in Brussels, Belgium, opposite the Museum of the City of Brussels.

It is the only remaining medieval building of the Grand Place and is considered a masterpiece of civil Gothic architecture and more particularly of Brabantine Gothic.

History

Gothic Town Hall

The oldest part of the present Town Hall is its east wing (to the right when facing the front). This wing, together with a shorter belfry, was built and completed in 1420 under direction of Jacob van Thienen. Initially, future expansion of the building was not foreseen, however, the admission of the craft guilds into the traditionally patrician city government apparently spurred interest in providing more room for the building. As a result, a second, somewhat longer wing was built on to the existing structure, with Charles the Bold laying its first stone in 1444. This "left" wing was built by Guillaume (Willem) de Voghel who, in 1452, also built the Magna Aula at the Coudenberg.

The facade is decorated with numerous statues representing nobles, saints, and allegorical figures. The present sculptures are reproductions; the older ones are in the city museum in the King's House across the Grand Place.

The 96-metre-high (315 ft) tower in Brabantine Gothic style emerged from the plans of Jan van Ruysbroek, the court architect of Philip the Good. By 1454, this tower, replacing the older belfry, was complete. Above the roof of the Town Hall, the square tower body narrows to a lavishly pinnacled octagonal openwork. Atop the spire, stands a 5-metre-high gilt metal statue of the archangel Michael, patron saint of Brussels, slaying a dragon or devil. The tower, its front archway and the main building's facade are conspicuously off-centre relative to one another. According to a legend, the architect, upon discovering this "error", leapt to his death from the tower. More likely, the asymmetry of the Town Hall was an accepted consequence of the scattered construction history and space constraints.

Classical wings

After the bombardment of Brussels in 1695, by a French army, under the Duke of Villeroi, the resulting fire completely gutted the Town Hall, destroying the archives and the art collections. The interior was soon rebuilt, and the addition of two rear wings, in the classical style (Louis XIV style), transformed the L-shaped building into its present configuration: a quadrilateral with an inner courtyard, completed by Corneille Van Nerven in 1712.

19th century restorations

The town hall underwent many restoration campaigns throughout the 19th century, first under the direction of Tilman-François Suys, starting in 1840. The Gothic interior was later revised by Victor Jamar in 1868, in the style of his mentor Viollet-le-Duc. It was at this time that most of the statues of the Town Hall were made. The interior halls were replenished with tapestries, paintings, and sculptures, largely representing subjects of importance in local and regional history.

Contemporary history

The Town Hall accommodated not only the municipal authorities of the city, but until 1795, also the States of Brabant. In 1830, a provisional government assembled here during the attempt of the Third French Revolution, which provoked the separation of the Southern Netherlands from the Northern Netherlands, resulting in the formation of Belgium as it is known presently.

At the start of World War I, as refugees flooded Brussels, the Town Hall served as a makeshift hospital. On 20 August 1914, the occupying German army arrived at the Grand Place and hoisted a German flag at the left side of the Town Hall.

The Town Hall has been designated a historic monument since 9 March 1936. It is a UNESCO World Heritage Site as part of the registration of the Grand Place."

--Wikipedia (visit link)
Adresse/Adres/Adresses/Address:
Grand-Place 0
Bruxelles, Belgium
1000


Année de construction/Bouwjaar/Baujahr/Year of construction: 1402-1410

Date d'arrêté/ Datum van het Besluit/ Datum der Unterschutzstellung/ Date of protection: 1936/3/9

Numéro de dossier/Dossiernummer/Dateinummer/File number: 2043-0009/0

URL: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
[ENG]
Take one or more personally-obtained photos of the monument, or a very detailed description of your visit may be substituted for a photo.
[FR]
Prenez une ou plusieurs photos personnelles du monument, ou une description très détaillée de votre visite peut se substituée à une photo.
[NL]
Neem een of meer persoonlijk verkregen foto's van het monument, of een zeer gedetailleerde beschrijving van uw bezoek kan in de plaats komen van een foto.
[DE]
Mach ein oder mehreren persönliches Bilden von dem Monument, oder eine sehr detaillierte Beschreibung Ihres Besuchs kann ein Foto ersetzen.

 

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Belgium Monument Registers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Michaelfiles visited Hôtel de Ville - Bruxelles - Bruxelles-Capitale 3/7/2018 Michaelfiles visited it
PISA-caching visited Hôtel de Ville - Bruxelles - Bruxelles-Capitale 5/2/2002 PISA-caching visited it

View all visits/logs