By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Le chateau de la roche-gençay - Magné - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 46° 21.861 E 000° 24.070
31T E 300094 N 5137812
Quick Description: Une des plus belles demeures seigneuriales, le château de La Roche domine majestueusement la vallée de la Belle. One of the most beautiful manor houses, the castle of La Roche majestically dominates the Belle valley.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 2/22/2018 12:35:39 PM
Waymark Code: WMXT0T
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 1

Long Description:
Credits : (visit link)

"Le château de la Roche, la première mention d'un Hotel Noble date de 1400 . Les propriétaires successifs l'agrandir en construisant les deux tours Sud et en décorant les trois travées de gauche en gothique flamboyant. En 1530 la troisième tour est construite les deux travées de droite sont décorées en style Renaissance.
La chapelle, construite vers 1530, a connu des transformations jusqu'en 1880 pour accueillir de magnifiques vitraux primés à l'exposition universelle de Paris en 1967, ils sont signés de Maréchal de Metz, chef de file de l'Ecole de Metz.
Par l'harmonie de son ensemble, la château de la Roche Classé Monument Historique domine de sa mine majestueuse la Vallée de la Belle dans laquelle il se réfléchit.
Visite des écuries nouvellement ouverte à la visite
Le château de La Roche-Gençay est l'objet d'une inscription depuis 1981 pour ses communs, sa chapelle, sa bibliothèque, l'escalier, le salon, la salle à manger, son élévation, sa tour, sa toiture et l'ensemble de son décor intérieur.
Datant du XVe siècle, il abrite le musée de l'Ordre de Saint-Jean de Jérusalem.
C'est l'une des plus belles demeures seigneuriales du département de la Vienne de par l'harmonie de son ensemble. Le château domine majestueusement la vallée de la Belle.
chateau de la roche gencaySa construction s'étend de la fin du XVe siècle jusqu'au XVIIIe siècle. En 1603, il était déjà composé d'un "vieux logis", dont il ne subsiste plus, depuis les travaux de 1872, qu'un commencement de couloir souterrain menant à la "salle des chevaliers", salle ronde taillée dans le roc, qui, jusqu'en 1878, possédait un jour naturel dans le rocher alors à pic. Des apports de terre ont transformé cet à-pic en pente douce vers la rivière, obstruant ainsi cet orifice. Il subsiste aussi une partie alors récente, qui constitue le début du château actuel. Une deuxième phase de travaux correspond à la façade donnant sur la Belle qui mêle des sculptures des styles gothiques et Renaissance. Une troisième phase a permis de relier la tour sud à la tour ouest. Enfin, de 1870 à 1872, sont édifiés la tour nord et le corps de bâtiment la reliant à la tour est, l'ouverture d'une porte, le perron face à la Belle. Cette phase est aussi marquée par la restauration des parties anciennes et par le couronnement de l'édifice d'une bordure de pierre ouvragée. Un campanile, avec trois cloches de bronze fut monté au milieu de la toiture. Il a été supprimé en 1987.
Le parc aurait été dessiné par Le Nôtre. Il possède deux sources : celle dite "du parc de Magné" et celle dite "des Coutières" située au pied du château.
La chapelle a été construite vers 1530. Elle a connu de nombreuses transformations jusqu'en 1880 pour accueillir de magnifiques vitraux qui ont été primés à l'Exposition Universelle de 1870. L'autel est en boiserie de style gothique. La chapelle est surmontée d'une croix de pierre sculptée, qui a remplacé, en 1872, un double arceau de pierre.
La décoration intérieure est du XVIIIe siècle.
Le musée est installé dans les dépendances du château. C'est le seul musée en France à être consacré à l'Ordre de Malte. Le musée a été créé par le comte Géraud Michel de Pierredon, bailli de l'ordre souverain de Malte, ancien hospitalier et représentant de l'Ordre auprès du gouvernement français.
Le musée retrace l'histoire des chevaliers de l'ordre de Saint-Jean de Jérusalem des origines à nos jours à travers des cartes, des médailles, des armures et des films.
MICHEL de PIERREDON (Géraud, Marie, François Bailli Comte), Ambassadeur de l’Ordre Souverain de Malte, Représentant officiel de l’ordre auprès de la France, Dirigeant d’œuvres caritatives.
Né le 22 avril 1916 à Magné (Vienne).
Fils du Bailli Comte Thierry Michel de Pierredon, Ministre plénipotentiaire de l’ordre de Malte,
et de la comtesse, née princesse Mabel Constance de Polignac. Illustrations familiales : son bisaïeul Blaise Michel, comte de Pierredon par bref pontifical de 1882 (1819-1907), dit Michel Pacha, grand amiral de la flotte ottomane; son trisaïeul le prince Jules de Polignac (1780-1847), ministre des Affaires étrangères de Charles X."

"The castle of La Roche, the first mention of a Hotel Noble dates from 1400. The successive owners enlarge it by building the two south towers and decorating the three spans of left flamboyant Gothic In 1530 the third tower is built the two right bays are decorated in Renaissance style.
The chapel, built around 1530, underwent transformations until 1880 to accommodate magnificent stained glass awarded at the World Fair in Paris in 1967, they are signed by Marshal Metz, leader of the School of Metz.
By the harmony of its whole, the Castle of the Rock Classified Historical Monument dominates of its majestic mine the Valley of the Belle in which it is reflected.
Visit of the newly opened stables to visit
The castle of La Roche-Gençay is the object of an inscription since 1981 for its common, its chapel, its library, the staircase, the living room, the dining room, its elevation, its tower, its roof and the set of its interior decor.
Dating back to the 15th century, it houses the Museum of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem.
It is one of the most beautiful mansions of the department of Vienne because of the harmony of its whole. The castle majestically dominates the Belle valley.
castle of the rock gencaySa construction extends from the end of the 15th century until the 18th century. In 1603, it was already composed of an "old house", of which it does not remain any more, since the works of 1872, that a beginning of underground corridor leading to the "room of the knights", round room cut in the rock, which, until 1878, had a natural day in the rock then at a peak. Inputs of soil have transformed this steep slope towards the river, thus obstructing this hole. There is also a then recent part, which is the beginning of the current castle. A second phase of work corresponds to the facade overlooking the Belle which combines sculptures of Gothic and Renaissance styles. A third phase connected the south tower to the west tower. Finally, from 1870 to 1872, are built the north tower and the building connecting the tower to the east, the opening of a door, the porch facing the Belle. This phase is also marked by the restoration of the old parts and by the crowning of the edifice with an ornate stone border. A campanile, with three bronze bells, was mounted in the middle of the roof. It was abolished in 1987.
The park would have been designed by Le Nôtre. It has two sources: the so-called "Magné Park" and the so-called "Coutières" located at the foot of the castle.
The chapel was built around 1530. It underwent many transformations until 1880 to accommodate magnificent stained glass windows that were awarded at the 1870 World's Fair. The altar is in Gothic woodwork. The chapel is surmounted by a carved stone cross, which replaced, in 1872, a double arch of stone.
The interior decoration is from the 18th century.
The museum is located in the outbuildings of the castle. It is the only museum in France to be dedicated to the Order of Malta. The museum was created by Count Géraud Michel de Pierredon, bailiff of the Sovereign Order of Malta, former hospital and representative of the Order to the French government.
The museum traces the history of Knights of the Order of St. John of Jerusalem from the beginning to the present day through cards, medals, armor and films.
MICHEL de PIERREDON (Géraud, Marie, François Bailli Count), Ambassador of the Sovereign Order of Malta, Official Representative of the Order to France, Leader of Charity.
Born April 22, 1916 in Magné (Vienne).
Son of Count Bailli Thierry Michel de Pierredon, Minister Plenipotentiary of the Order of Malta,
and the Countess, born Princess Mabel Constance de Polignac. Family illustrations: his great-grandfather Blaise Michel, count of Pierredon by pontifical brief of 1882 (1819-1907), says Michel Pasha, grand admiral of the Ottoman fleet; his great-grandfather Prince Jules de Polignac (1780-1847), Minister of Foreign Affairs of Charles X. "
Type of publication: Newspaper

When was the article reported?: 9/13/2013

Publication: Le château de la Roche, un site à visiter

Article Url: [Web Link]

Is Registration Required?: no

How widespread was the article reported?: regional

News Category: Arts/Culture

Visit Instructions:
Give the date of your visit at the news location along with a description of what you learned or experienced.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest News Article Locations
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.