By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Musée des Beaux Arts de Limoges - Limoges, Limousin
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member AirV
N 45° 49.686 E 001° 15.939
31T E 365290 N 5076411
Quick Description: Le musée des Beaux Arts accueille une collection archéologique sur l'histoire de la ville ainsi qu'une collection égyptienne. / The Museum of Fine Arts hosts an archaeological collection on the history of the city and an Egyptian collection
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 2/22/2018 10:55:47 AM
Waymark Code: WMXT0A
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member MikeGolfJ3
Views: 0

Long Description:

FRANCAIS

Depuis 1912, le "musée des beaux-arts de Limoges " occupe l'ancien palais épiscopal réalisé par Joseph Brousseau entre 1766 et 1774.

En plus des collections artistiques, le musée accueille deux belles collections historiques :
-) Les collections archéologiques
Elle proviennent essentiellement des fouilles du site gallo-romain d’Augustoritum, mais également de découvertes sporadiques dans le département de la Haute-Vienne. Les nombreuses fouilles archéologiques qui ont eu lieu depuis plusieurs décennies à Limoges permettent d'avoir une bonne connaissance des modifications urbaines : plusieurs maquettes illustrent ces évolutions (ville ouverte gallo-romaine, période mérovingienne, an Mil, xiiie siècle enfin avec les deux noyaux urbains rivaux). Des maquettes de la ville aux XVIIe, XVIIIe et XIXe siècles et début xxe siècle, permettent de comprendre l'évolution et d'appréhender l'extraordinaire croissance de Limoges dans les derniers siècles, en particulier avec l'industrie porcelainière ou l'arrivée du chemin de fer.
-) La collection égyptienne
Le musée doit sa belle collection d'antiquités égyptiennes au legs de Jean-André Périchon, industriel originaire de la région, qui fit fortune au début du xxe siècle dans les sucreries de moyenne Égypte. Il faut particulièrement remarquer un exceptionnel ensemble de modèles funéraires du Moyen Empire. Des acquisitions récentes, provenant de la même collection et des dons sont venus compléter cette collection riche de près de deux mille pièces.

ENGLISH

Since 1912, the "Museum of fine arts of Limoges" occupies the former episcopal palace built by Joseph Brousseau between 1766 and 1774. </ p>

In addition to the art collections, the museum hosts two beautiful historical collections:
-) Archaeological collections
They come mainly from the excavations of the Gallo-Roman site of Augustoritum, but also from sporadic discoveries in the department of Haute-Vienne. The numerous archaeological excavations that have been taking place in Limoges for several decades allow us to have a good knowledge of urban modifications: several models illustrate these evolutions (open Gallo-Roman city, Merovingian period, year one thousand, thirteenth century finally with the two urban cores rivals). Models of the city in the seventeenth, eighteenth and nineteenth centuries and early twentieth century, can understand the evolution and understand the extraordinary growth of Limoges in recent centuries, especially with the porcelain industry or the arrival of railroad.
-) The Egyptian collection
The museum owes its beautiful collection of Egyptian antiquities to the legacy of Jean-André Périchon, a native of the region, who made a fortune in the early twentieth century in the sweets of Middle Egypt. We must particularly note an exceptional set of funerary models of the Middle Kingdom. Recent acquisitions, from the same collection and donations have completed this rich collection of almost two thousand pieces. </ P>

Theme:
Egyptian collection Local archaeological collections


Food Court: no

Gift Shop: yes

Hours of Operation:
D'avril à septembre : 9h30 à 12h et 14h à 18h (fermé le mardi). D'octobre à mars : 9h30 à 12h et 14h à 17h (fermé le mardi et le dimanche matin). Fermeture annuelle : les 1er janvier, 1er mai, 1er et 11 novembre, 25 décembre ------------------- April to September : 9h30 à 12h et 14h à 18h (closed on Tuesday). October to march : 9h30 à 12h et 14h à 17h (closed on Tuesday and sunday morning). annual closure : January 1st, May 1er, November 1er and 11th, December 25th


Cost: 5.00 (listed in local currency)

Museum Size: Small

Relevant Web Site: [Web Link]

Street Address: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
In order to log this waymark in this category, you must be able to provide proof of your visit. Please post a picture of yourself or your GPSr in front some identifiable feature or point of interest either in the museum, or on the museum grounds.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest History Museums
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.