By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Dora L. Moran - Mulberry Cemetery - Mulberry, TX, USA
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 33° 43.728 W 096° 16.506
14S E 752473 N 3735420
Quick Description: A dove bearing an olive branch is prominent at the top of the headstone for Dora L. Moran, in historic Mullberry Cemetery, Mulberry, TX.
Location: Texas, United States
Date Posted: 2/12/2018 6:24:49 AM
Waymark Code: WMXQ7H
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member CADS11
Views: 1

Long Description:
While broken, either by vandals or by the storms that hit North Texas, this white marble headstone is in fairly good condition, given its age, and note the survival of "J.H. Hilger, Sherman." (the company who created the headstone) at the bottom At the top is a circle with the dove and flowers underneath it, along with this inscription:

Dora L.
Dau. of
J. & L. Moran

Born
Mar. 24, 1881.
Died
Oct. 15, 1882.
---

God blesses an early death,
and takes the Infant unto
himself.

-----

Thanks to Findagrave for filling in some of the missing bits. This headstone is indeed a lucky survivor in this Historic Texas Cemetery, and a Texas Historical Marker at the gate explains:

Located approximately two miles south of the Red River, Mulberry was established in the early 1880s as a small farming community. One of the first settlers in Mulberry was Civil War Captain Thomas Lightfoot and his family from Alabama, who bought several thousand acres of land along the Red River. In 1883, Thomas Lightfoot donated land to the Mulberry Community to be used for a cemetery and a one-room school. Eventually, Mulberry School closed and half of its property was sold by D.B. Deupree in 1951 to the cemetery. Joe C. Denton paid paid for the land as a gift to the community.

The oldest part of the cemetery is located on the north end overlooking Mulberry Bottom. The first recorded burial on the property was that of two-year-old Allis May, in 1876. Other family burials date as far back as 1881. In the northwest corner of the original burial ground is the Mexican section shaded with trees. The first Mexican family to come to Mulberry was Ferman and Rossaria Portillo and their three children in 1902. Over the years the community experienced multiple natural disasters which took several lives. Some of these events include: The 1905 flooding of Mulberry Bottom, 1919 Mulberry Cyclone and the 1959 tornado which destroyed many of the tombstones and cemetery fence.

There are several war veterans buried in the cemetery including the only known Civil War veteran, B.F. Moseley. All veterans are honored by the main gate entrance flag pole, which is set in a concrete stand embedded with the Veterans of Foreign Wars emblem. A cross and monument stand on the midpoint between the original burial ground and the site of the old Mulberry School in memory of those lost and unmarked graves.
Kind of dove: Dove with olive branch

Used material for the dove: Other (explanation in the long description)

Address:
5638 FM 274
Mulberry, TX USA
75476


Visit Instructions:

- The Waymarks coordinates must have been visited personally.

- A self-made picture of the Peace Dove has to be added to your log.

- Tell us something about your visit to the Peace Dove.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Doves of peace
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.