Belfries of Belgium and France - Beffroi de l'Hôtel de Ville - Bailleul, France, ID=943-034
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 44.378 E 002° 44.067
31U E 481262 N 5620905
Quick Description: [EN] The Belfry of Bailleul Town Hall is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. [FR] Le beffroi de l'Hôtel de Ville de Bailleul est un monument classé au patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO.
Location: Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
Date Posted: 1/30/2018 4:57:49 AM
Waymark Code: WMXMT9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Tervas
Views: 0

Long Description:

The belfry, a symbol of communal liberty, was built in the 12th century. This building, which was originally wooden, was rebuilt in stone. Many times destroyed during wars or fires, it has always been rebuilt in the same style. The last building dates from 1932 and was conducted by architect Louis-Marie Cordonnier.

The belfry culminates at 62m and is capped with a bulbous steeple at the top of which the siren Mélusine watches over the city. It houses the carillon, which was heard for the first time in 1777. After the destruction of the belfry during the First World War, only one bell was found intact. She is today in the main staircase of the town hall. The carillon has 35 bells for a total weight of 5193 kilos. The system of jingles has a drum 1.20m long, 1m diameter pierced with 7200 holes.

At the base of the belfry is the Gothic hall. This former guard room dates from the 13th century and is classified as a historic monument since December 11, 1922.

Its ceiling consists of four arches, supported by a sandstone pillar in the center of the room. Its walls are approximately 1.20 m thick.

The Belfry

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

Le beffroi, symbole des libertés communales, a été édifié au XIIème siècle. Cet édifice, qui devait être en bois à l'origine, a été rebâti en pierres. Plusieurs fois détruit au cours de guerres ou d'incendies, il a toujours été reconstruit dans le même style. La dernière construction date de 1932 et a été menée par l'architecte Louis-Marie Cordonnier.

Le beffroi culmine à 62m et est coiffé d'un clocher à bulbe au sommet duquel la sirène Mélusine veille sur la ville. Il abrite le carillon, qu'on entendit pour la première fois en 1777. Après la destruction du beffroi lors de la première guerre mondiale, une seule cloche fut retrouvée intacte. Elle se trouve aujourd'hui dans l'escalier d'honneur de la mairie. Le carillon compte 35 cloches pour un poids total de 5193 kilos. Le système de ritournelles comporte un tambour de 1,20m de long, 1m de diamètre percé de 7200 trous.

A la base du beffroi se trouve la salle gothique. Cette ancienne salle des gardes date du XIIIème siècle et est classée au titre des Monuments historiques depuis le 11 décembre 1922.

Son plafond est formé de quatre voûtes, soutenues par un pilier en grès au centre de la pièce. Ses murs mesurent environ 1,20 m d'épaisseur.

Sources : Le Beffroi

Type: Building

Reference number: http://whc.unesco.org/fr/list/943/<943-034>

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Belfries of Belgium and France - Beffroi de l'Hôtel de Ville - Bailleul, France, ID=943-034 1/30/2018 pmaupin visited it