By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Replica Lighthouse - Burry Port, Carmarthenshire, Wales.
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member veritas vita
N 51° 41.331 W 004° 13.751
30U E 415033 N 5727147
Quick Description: This eye catching Replica of the Burry Port Lighthouse stands on a traffic island at the Moreb Roundabout, the main gateway off the by-pass road into the small Harbor Town of Burry Port, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
Location: South Wales, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 1/21/2018 11:16:16 PM
Waymark Code: WMXK1F
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Mark1962
Views: 2

Long Description:
Info on The Replica of the Burry Port Harbour lighthouse:
In April, Darkin Architects were approached to help improve the gateway to Burry Port with an eye-catching feature to Moreb Roundabout. The design, which required planning consent, is a for a mini-replica of Burry Port's lighthouse, central to the roundabout. The design is set to feature as part of this year's (2016) Wales In Bloom competition.
Ironically, one of the key differences between the proposed structure and the real thing is that there isn't a light. This would prove a potential hazard to road users.

I have added an extra 4 photos of the original lighthouse to this listings photo gallery.

Info on the original Lighthouse:
Burry Port Lighthouse is a harbour light with a reflector, and is situated on the west breakwater of the outer harbour. It was built in 1842 and was erected with the permission of Trinity House and maintained at the joint expense of the proprietors of Burry Port Harbour and the Commissioners of the Burry Navigation. The light consists of a 24ft white painted, stone, circular tower with a black gallery and red lantern. As this was a harbour light, the annual cost of its upkeep, which cost £32 in 1844, was not met by a direct charge to shipping. However, in 1845 the superintendent of Burry Port Harbour reported that buoyage dues not exceeding 1d a ton had been regularly charged since the passing of an Act for the ‘Improvement of the Navigation of the Rivers Bury, Loughor and Lliedi’ on 2 July 1813.

The lighthouse in 2009
In 1995-6, Llanelli Borough Training, with the support of the Burry Port Yacht Club, restored the lighthouse and Trinity House donated a new light. The restored lighthouse is operated by Carmarthenshire County Council and was formally opened on 9 February 1996 by Councillor David T. James, the Mayor of Llanelli. The current white flashing light is visible for fifteen miles and is now an important landmark for the Burry Port Yacht Club and the Burry Port Marina. The lighthouse is accessed via the breakwater. The neighbouring small port of Pembrey Old Harbour also had a lighthouse to guide ships into port. Prior to its construction, the tall chimneys of Court Farm, Pembrey were used as a navigation aid."
Text Source & Internet Link about Original: (visit link)
Visit Instructions:
Please post a photo of the lighthouse, showing either you or your GPS in the photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Landlocked Lighthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
veritas vita visited Replica Lighthouse - Burry Port, Carmarthenshire, Wales. 1/24/2018 veritas vita visited it