By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

1890 - Altes Kloster - Swisttal-Heimerzheim, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Narayan,
N 50° 42.894 E 006° 54.790
32U E 352678 N 5620198
Quick Description: DE: Ehemaliges Franziskaner-Kloster in Heimerzheim. EN: Former Franciscan monastery in Heimerzheim.
Location: Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Date Posted: 1/6/2018 6:46:14 PM
Waymark Code: WMXFHK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:
Das sogenannte "Alte Kloster" in Heimerzheim wurde um 1890 von zwei ortsansässigen Burgherren gebaut: dem Katholiken Philipp Freiherr von Boeselager und dem Protestanten Karl Emil Wülfing. Sie planten das Gebäude als Entbindungsstation, dessen Trägerschaft der Franziskanerinnen-Orden in Olpe übernahm. Eine Kapelle mit Glockenturm wurde ebenfalls in das Gebäude integriert.

Die Franziskanerinnen nutzten das Kloster bis 1965 neben der Geburtshilfe als Krankenhaus, Altenheim, Nähschule und für die Betreuung von Kindern. Während des Krieges wurde im Gebäude ein Lazarett eingerichtet.

Nach der Aufgabe vom Franaziskanerinnen-Orden ging das Kloster an die katholische Kirchengemeinde Heimerzheim über. Diese nutzte das Gebäude und zum Kloster gehörende Nebenbauten als Kindergarten, Schule und als Treffpunkt für die Gemeindejugend. 1986/87 wurde das Kloster zu einer städtischen Begegnungsstätte umgebaut und beherbergt heute eine Musikschule, einen Kunstverein und den Kinder- und Jugendtreff der Stadt Swisttal.
The so-called "Old Monastery" in Heimerzheim was built around 1890 by two local lords: the Catholic Philipp Freiherr von Boeselager and the Protestant Karl Emil Wülfing. They planned the building as a maternity ward, whose operation was taken over by the Franciscan Order of Olpe. A chapel with a bell tower was also integrated into the building.

The Franciscan nuns used the monastery until 1965 in addition to obstetrics as a hospital, retirement home, sewing school and for the care of children. During the war, a military hospital was set up in the building.

After the Franciscan Order abandoned the monastery, it was transferred to the Catholic parish of Heimerzheim. These used the building and ancillary houses belonging to the monastery as a kindergarten, school and as a meeting place for the community youth. In 1986/87, the monastery was converted to a community center and today houses a music school, an art club and the children's and youth club of the city of Swisttal.
More Information / Weblinks Wikipedia
Crosslinks This waymark is also listed as:
WMXEQN | Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
WMXF6Y | Deutsche Denkmallisten - German Monument Registers
WMXFHH | Signs of History
WMXG0V | Bell Towers
WMXEQM | Unique Steeples
WMXG0P | Outdoor Warning Sirens
Year of construction: 1890

Cross-listed waymark: [Web Link]

Full inscription:
Philippus liber baro de Boeslager dominus de Heimerzheim et Emil Wuelfing dominus de Kriegshoven ad majorem Dei gloriam et ad obsequium pauperum ex propriis me exstruxerunt. A.D.1890.


Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.