By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

La Joyeuse Prison - Pont l'Eveque - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member junkys
N 49° 17.136 E 000° 10.929
31U E 295088 N 5463026
Quick Description: [FR] La prison de Pont-l’Evêque, créée au début du XIXe, fut fermée dans les années 1950, après un scandale judiciaire. [EN] The prison of Pont-l'Evêque, created in the early nineteenth, was closed in the 1950s, after a judicial scandal.
Location: Normandie, France
Date Posted: 1/2/2018 10:46:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMXEJ2
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
Views: 1

Long Description:
[FR]
La prison de Pont-l’Evêque, située rue Eugène-Pian, est un édifice pénitentiaire créé au début du XIXe et fermé dans les années 1950, après un scandale judiciaire.

Elle fut édifiée sur l’emplacement de l’ancien couvent des Dominicaines fermé en 1792.

Le bâtiment pénitentiaire fut construit selon les préoccupations philanthropiques de l’époque. La prison possédait un plan rectangulaire et une organisation symétrique avec en son centre un puits de lumière. On y trouvait 4 cellules-dortoirs à chacun des 2 étages qui étaient des pièces symétriques de 25 m² avec des fenêtres grillagées, où étaient séparés les hommes, les femmes, les prévenus et les condamnés. On trouvait également le bureau des avocats, le parloir, des couloirs, des escaliers métalliques, le logement du gardien-chef dans une demi-tour en excroissance ainsi qu’une chapelle au 1er étage et une cuisine en sous-sol. Une cour séparée en 2 entourait la prison sur 3 côtés, le tout étant fermé par un mur.

La prison de Pont-l’Evêque fut surnommée la « Joyeuse prison » par la presse après les drôles événements qui s’y déroulèrent dans les années 1950. En effet, à cette époque, la prison était devenue une sorte de pension folklorique sous la direction d’un gardien-chef, Fernand Billa, qui préférait être aimé de ses détenus plutôt que d’être craint. Les prisonniers utilisaient alors librement le téléphone, tenaient les comptes, recevaient petites-amies et épouses, s’offraient gueuletons et permissions de jour comme de nuit, s’auto-délivraient des certificats de bonne moralité. Chaque matin, l’un d’eux, se rendait au café d’en face. Un autre a même réparé les alarmes de la prison et refait l’électricité de la gendarmerie !

Ces événements furent découverts en 1951 après l’arrestation de l’ennemi public n°1 de l’époque, René Girier dit « René la Canne » qui venait de s’évader de la prison de Pont-l’Evêque. En effet, ce bandit spécialisé dans les casses de coffres-forts et de fourgons blindés, célèbre pour avoir commis un vol de 65 millions de Francs chez le bijoutier Van Cleef et Arpels ainsi que le casse du coffre-fort du président du Conseil Edouard Daladier, fut enfermé à la prison de Pont-l’Evêque dès mars 1949 après le cambriolage d’une bijouterie Deauvillaise. Bien qu’ami avec le gardien-chef et la porte de la prison grande ouverte, René Girier s’évada de la prison en sciant les barreaux et en escaladant le mur d’enceinte. Son évasion et son arrestation mirent en lumière les dysfonctionnements de la prison et créèrent un immense scandale judiciaire qui fut jugé en octobre 1955 par la cour d’assise du Calvados. Celle-ci décida d’un acquittement général envers les détenus, tandis que l’administration pénitentiaire fut reconnue coupable. Le gardien-chef fut révoqué pour négligence.

Après ce scandale judiciaire, la prison, qui était devenue au fil des années vétuste et insalubre, fut définitivement fermée en 1953. Le propriétaire, l’Etat, ne fit rien de l’édifice qui resta à l’abandon plusieurs décennies. Les aménagements extérieurs, les cours et le mur d’enceinte, furent détruits.

à la fin des années 1990. La prison de style néoclassique édifiée au début du XIXe siècle ainsi que tous ces aménagements intérieurs conservés depuis la fermeture du lieu furent inscrit au titre des Monuments Historiques le 5 décembre 1997. La prison constitue en effet un témoignage exceptionnel du renouveau de l’architecture carcérale du XIXe siècle.


[EN]
The prison of Pont-l'Evêque, located rue Eugène-Pian, is a prison building created in the early nineteenth and closed in the 1950s, after a judicial scandal.

It was built on the site of the former Dominican convent closed in 1792.

The prison building was built according to the philanthropic concerns of the time. The prison had a rectangular plan and a symmetrical organization with a skylight in the center. There were 4 dormitory cells on each of the 2 floors, which were symmetrical rooms of 25 m² with screened windows, where men, women, defendants and convicts were separated. There was also the lawyer's office, the parlor, corridors, metal staircases, the head guard's quarters in a protruding half-turn, and a chapel on the first floor and a kitchen in the basement. A separate courtyard in 2 surrounded the prison on 3 sides, all closed by a wall.

The prison of Pont-l'Evêque was nicknamed the "Joyeuse prison" by the press after the funny events that took place in the 1950s. Indeed, at that time, the prison had become a kind of folk pension under the direction of a chief guard, Fernand Billa, who preferred to be loved by his detainees rather than being feared. Prisoners then freely used the telephone, kept the accounts, received girlfriends and wives, offered themselves greetings and day and night permits, issued themselves certificates of good morality. Every morning, one of them went to the cafe opposite. Another even repaired the alarms of the prison and restored the electricity of the gendarmerie!


These events were discovered in 1951 after the arrest of the public enemy No. 1 of the time, Rene Girier said "Rene la Canne" who had just escaped the prison of Pont-l'Evêque. Indeed, this bandit specialized in cases of safes and armored vans, famous for having committed a theft of 65 million francs at the jeweler Van Cleef and Arpels as well as the breakage of the safe of the president of the Council Edouard Daladier was imprisoned at the Pont-L'Evêque prison in March 1949 after the burglary of a Deauville jewelery store. Although a friend with the head warden and the door of the prison wide open, René Girier escaped from the prison by cutting the bars and climbing the wall. His escape and arrest brought to light the malfunctions of the prison and created an immense judicial scandal that was judged in October 1955 by the Calvados court. The latter decided on a general acquittal of the detainees, while the prison administration was found guilty. The chief warden was dismissed for negligence.

After this judicial scandal, the prison, which had become over the years obsolete and unhealthy, was permanently closed in 1953. The owner, the state, did nothing of the building which remained abandoned several decades. The outdoor facilities, courtyards and the surrounding wall were destroyed.

in the late 1990s. The neoclassical prison built in the early nineteenth century and all these interior facilities preserved since the closure of the place were registered as Historic Monuments December 5, 1997. The prison is indeed an exceptional testimony the renewal of nineteenth-century prison architecture.
Address:
Rue Eugène Pian
Pont-l'Eveque, France
14130


Open to the public: Yes

Hours:
[FR] visite guidée les premiers samedis de chaque mois, avec réservation obligation par téléphone. [EN] guided tour the first Saturdays of each month, with required reservation by phone.


Web link: [Web Link]

Fees?: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
In order to add a new log to the waymark of this category, simply take another photo of the prison from a different angle than the other posts. Also add to the history of the jail when possible.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Retired Prisons
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.