St. Matthew’s United Church - Clyde River, NS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 43° 37.939 W 065° 28.706
20T E 300067 N 4834021
Quick Description: It is apparent that the congregation of this church is quite proud of their building, and well they should be. Their 1875 building still looks just fine.
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Date Posted: 12/6/2017 8:59:58 PM
Waymark Code: WMX787
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
Views: 1

Long Description:
This is a beautiful small town Gothic Revival church, given a great amount of detail work when it was constructed. Essentially all of the detail not only remains, but remains in excellent condition, doubtless due to constant upkeep by the members. All of the detail work, save for the wooden corbelling under the eaves, has been outlined in black, creating a wonderful contrast against the bright white of the building itself. Above the corbels on the cornice of the tower are tiny little dentils, all the windows were given matching hoods, the belfry openings consist of small gablets and the entrance is surrounded by copious amounts of black highlighting.

Next to the church is the old Presbyterian Cemetery which, according to the Shelburne County Genealogical Society, was established in 1825. Find A Grave lists only 31 interments in the cemetery, a great many fewer than are actually here. The true number would be closer to 200, possibly more. The cemetery is still in use, as there are several relatively recent headstones here.

Construction on the first Presbyterian “Kirk” at Clyde River was begun in 1838. A second Presbyterian church was erected at Clyde River in 1875. The first Kirk was moved and used for temperance meetings (Invincible Lodge No. 387). This building was completely demolished by fire in 1959.

Carleton Village was formerly known as Fort Point. St. Paul’s United Church at Carleton Village was erected by the Presbyterians in the years between 1885 and 1890. In 1902, a nearby school, which was built about 1890, was purchased for a church hall. The Methodists at Carleton Village and McNutt’s Island united with the Presbyterians and were served by the Clyde River Presbyterian minister as part of the Clyde Barrington Pastoral Charge in 1910.

In 1925, all Congregational and Methodist Churches in Canada and a majority of Presbyterian Churches in Canada were united to form The United Church of Canada. The Clyde River Presbyterian congregation joined the United Church of Canada and the Clyde River Church was renamed St. Matthew’s United Church.
From the United Church of Canada


Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here Photo goes Here

Church Name: St. Matthew’s United

Church In Use (even only just occassionally): yes

Date Church Built: 1875

Rate this church.:

Visit Instructions:
High quality photos only. No low resolution camera phones, please.

Pictures required:
1. Church picture
2. Church sign (schedule sign with Church name on it &/or gate with Church name).
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Country Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.