By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Chapelle Saint-Ulrich - Avolsheim, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 48° 33.733 E 007° 30.034
32U E 389371 N 5379876
Quick Description: [EN] The St. Ulrich chapel, which stands in the middle of the village is distinguished by its octagonal Romanesque bell tower. [FR] La chapelle Saint-Ulrich, qui s’élève au milieu du village se signale par son clocher octogonal roman.
Location: Grand-Est, France
Date Posted: 12/3/2017 12:12:19 PM
Waymark Code: WMX6EP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
Views: 1

Long Description:

The Saint-Ulrich chapel, which stands in the middle of the village, between the Saint-Materne church and the Bruche, is distinguished by its octagonal Romanesque bell tower and its four truncated absidioles. Initially these absidioles were circular.

The building, more commonly called "the Baptistery", seems to have been built at the very end of the 10th century or at the beginning of the 11th century according to the simply chamfered profile of the transoms, and especially according to its plan, from the 10th century, in Prague (Saint Guy's church, 925-928) and Krakow (after 967).

In the Romanesque period, the octagonal bell tower was erected on the drum of the cupola, the sides of which have alternately simple and twin windows. On the north side a geminate window, smaller than the others and richly adorned, overcomes an access door to the belfry. A beautiful tile-covered spire further accentuates the central plan of the chapel

In 1774, St. Ulrich became the parish church of the village. To it was added a nave and a choir to the east. To open the passage to the nave, the absidiole was removed.

The west entrance, which is still used, was soberly adorned with a triangular pediment bearing two fire pots. In order to align them with the side walls of the nave, the north and south absidioles were truncated, which were provided with larger windows.

It was next to the existing church, which had become too small, that a new Neo-Romanesque church was built in 1911. The nave and the choir of Saint-Ulrich are demolished a little later to keep only the old part, of which the eastern absidiole was closed.

This apse was furnished with a window and crowned with a pediment similar to that of the entrance. The floor of the chapel was then tiled or baked clay.

In 1967, the Historical Monuments Service caused the release of wall paintings in the dome and the drum, the same service planned for the end of 1981 the restoration of the entire monument.

Excavations made it possible to locate in the IXth century the building of the Tetraconque chapel, making of this monument the second witness of rural religious architecture of the Carolingian era known in Alsace, after the Dompeter.

Sources : The Chapel

La chapelle Saint-Ulrich, qui s’élève au milieu du village, entre l’église Saint-Materne et la Bruche, se signale par son clocher octogonal roman et ses quatre absidioles tronquées. Initialement ces absidioles étaient circulaires.

L'édifice, appelé plus communément "le Baptistère", semble avoir été construit à l'extrême fin du X ème siècle ou au tout début du XI ème d'après le profil simplement chanfreiné des impostes, et surtout d'après son plan, qu'on trouve à partir du X ème siècle, à Prague (église Saint Guy, 925-928) et à Cracovie (après 967).

A l’époque romane fut élevé sur le tambour de la coupole le clocher octogonal dont les côtés sont pourvus de fenêtres alternativement simples et géminées. Sur le côté nord une fenêtre géminée, plus petite que les autres et richement ornée, surmonte une porte d’accès au clocher. Une belle flèche couverte de tuiles, accentue encore le plan central de la chapelle.

En 1774, Saint-Ulrich devint l’église paroissiale du village. On lui ajouta, à l’est, une nef et un chœur. Pour ouvrir le passage vers la nef, on supprima l’absidiole est.

L’entrée ouest, qui est toujours utilisée, fut sobrement ornée d’un fronton triangulaire portant deux pots à feu. Pour les aligner sur les murs latéraux de la nef on tronqua les absidioles nord et sud, que l’on munit de fenêtres plus grandes.

C’est à côté de l’église existante, devenue trop petite, que fut édifiée en 1911 une nouvelle église de style néo-roman. On démolit un peu plus tard la nef et le chœur de Saint-Ulrich pour ne conserver que la partie ancienne, dont on referma l’absidiole est.

Cette absidiole fut munie d’une fenêtre et couronnée d’un fronton semblable à celui de l’entrée. Le sol de la chapelle reçut alors son carrelage de terre battue ou cuite.

En 1967, le Service des Monuments historiques suscita le dégagement de peintures murales dans la coupole et le tambour, le même service projeta pour la fin de l’année 1981 la restauration de l’ensemble du monument.

Les fouilles ont permis de situer au IX ème siècle l’édification de la chapelle tétraconque, faisant de ce monument le second témoin d’architecture religieuse rurale de l’époque carolingienne connu en Alsace, après le Dompeter.

Sources : La Chapelle

Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
F5GSD visited Chapelle Saint-Ulrich - Avolsheim, France 1/16/2019 F5GSD visited it
pmaupin visited Chapelle Saint-Ulrich - Avolsheim, France 11/29/2017 pmaupin visited it
Alucard0057 visited Chapelle Saint-Ulrich - Avolsheim, France 8/13/2012 Alucard0057 visited it

View all visits/logs