By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Farol de Vila Real de Santo António
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member RuiJSDuarte
N 37° 11.239 W 007° 24.984
29S E 640560 N 4116826
Quick Description: A Landlocked Lighthouse located in Vila Real de Santo António, the most southerly city in Portugal.
Location: Vila Real, Portugal
Date Posted: 11/19/2017 2:24:32 AM
Waymark Code: WMX2WQ
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Mark1962
Views: 6

Long Description:
"O Farol de Vila Real de Santo António entrou em funcionamento em janeiro de 1923, após largos anos de discussão quanto ao método de construção, visto estar localizado num local arenoso. A torre, circular, tinha 40 metros de altura e assentava sobre fundações de betão armado. A luz lá instalada, de relâmpagos, era obtida por incandescência de vapor de petróleo e tinha um alcance de 33 M. Ainda hoje está equipado com o aparelho óptico lenticular de Fresnel de terceira ordem com 500 mm de distância focal original."

"The Lighthouse of Vila Real de Santo António started operating in January 1923, after many years of discussion about the method of construction, since it was located in a sandy location. The circular tower was 40 meters high and was based on foundations of The light installed there was obtained by incandescence of petroleum vapor and had a range of 33 M. It is still equipped with the third order Fresnel lenticular optical device with 500 mm of original focal length."

"Em 1927 é electrificado com motores geradores, e posteriormente, em 1947, ligado à rede pública de electricidade, ano em que a máquina de relojoaria que, até então, tinha assegurado o movimento do aparelho óptico foi também substituída por motores eléctricos e a lâmpada por uma outra de 3.000W. Em 1960, os dínamos foram substituídos por alternadores e foi instalado um elevador de acesso à torre. Em 1983, a lâmpada é substituída por uma de 1.000W. Seis anos depois, o farol é automatizado, estando, portanto, desprovido de faroleiros nos dias de hoje."

"In 1927 it was electrified with generators and later in 1947 connected to the public electricity grid, a year in which the clockwork machine which until then had ensured the movement of the optical apparatus was also replaced by electric motors and the lamp by another of 3,000W. In 1960, the dynamos were replaced by alternators and a tower access elevator was installed. In 1983, the lamp is replaced by a lamp of 1,000W. Six years later, the lighthouse is automated, and is, therefore, devoid of lighthouses these days." in wikipedia
Visit Instructions:
Please post a photo of the lighthouse, showing either you or your GPS in the photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Landlocked Lighthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
dtrebilc visited Farol de Vila Real de Santo António 2/21/2018 dtrebilc visited it