Belfries of Belgium and France - Beffroi de l’église Saint-Eloi - Dunkerque , France, ID=943-039
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 51° 02.134 E 002° 22.567
31U E 456256 N 5653965
Quick Description: [EN] The Dunkerque belfry is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. [FR] Le beffroi de Dunkerque est un monument classé au patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO.
Location: Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France
Date Posted: 11/11/2017 2:30:30 PM
Waymark Code: WMX16D
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Tervas
Views: 0

Long Description:

Construction period: 1440; Date of classification: Classified as UNESCO World Heritage 2005; Gothic style; Typology: Church Belfry; Materials: Brick; Height: 58 meters.

Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a "Historic Monument", the Belfry of Dunkerque was erected around 1440.

Originally, it was the bell tower of the church of St. Eloi until 1558. before it was destroyed in part during a fire in 1558. While the new church is rebuilt, the tower remains isolated by the ruins of the burned church.

It serves as a steeple, a municipal belfry and bitter. In the nineteenth century, it is restored under the direction of the municipal architect Charles Henry.

The tower still houses a carillon 50 bells, still in use, whose drone, called the "Jean Bart", weighs 7 tons.

At a height of 58 meters, the belfry of the old church of Saint-Eloi de Dunkerque is a square tower built in blond brick measuring 15 meters at its base and 8 meters at its summit, which gives it an imposing appearance when you look at it from below. The base of the building is Romanesque while the upper part is rather Gothic.

This tower has six floors: on the ground floor, a large ogival bay today corresponds to the entrance of the Tourist Office. The first and second floors are quite sober and lit by narrow loopholes. Clock faces are visible on the four sides of the belfry on the fourth floor.

A carillon of 48 bells dating from 1962 is in the fifth, it sounds every hour the "Cantate Jean Bart". Out of use since 1997, its complex mechanism was rehabilitated in 2009 to once again punctuate the life of the city and now be visited.

Up to this point, the visit is done by elevator. Then, the climb ends sixty steps higher on the belted platform of a parapet that offers a breathtaking view of the Dunkerque region.

Sources : The Belfry

Période de construction : 1440 Date de classement : Classé au Patrimoine Mondial de l'UNESCO 2005; Style : Gothique; Typologie : Beffroi d'église; Matériaux : Brique; Hauteur : 58 mètres.

Classé au patrimoine mondial de l’UNESCO et « Monument Historique », le beffroi de Dunkerque a été érigé vers 1440.

A l'origine, il était le clocher de l’église Saint-Eloi jusque 1558. avant que celle-ci ne soit détruite en partie lors d'un incendie survenu en 1558. Tandis que la nouvelle église est reconstruite, la tour demeure isolée par les ruines de l' église incendiée.

Elle sert alors de clocher, de beffroi municipal et d'amer. Au XIXe siècle, elle est restaurée sous la direction de l'architecte communal Charles Henry.

La tour abrite toujours un carillon 50 cloches, encore en service, dont le bourdon, appelé le "Jean Bart", pèse 7 tonnes.

D’une hauteur de 58 mètres, le beffroi de l’ancienne église Saint-Eloi de Dunkerque est une tour carrée construite en brique blonde mesurant 15 mètres de côté à sa base et 8 mètres à son sommet, ce qui lui donne un aspect imposant lorsqu’on le regarde d’en bas. L’assise de l’édifice est de style roman tandis que sa partie supérieure est plutôt gothique.

Cette tour comprend six étages : au rez-de-chaussée, une grande baie ogivale correspond aujourd’hui à l’entrée de l’Office de tourisme. Les premier et second étages sont assez sobres et éclairés par d’étroites meurtrières. Des cadrans d’horloge sont visibles sur les quatre faces du beffroi au quatrième étage.

Un carillon de 48 cloches datant de 1962 se situe au cinquième, il sonne toutes les heures la « Cantate à Jean Bart ». Hors d'usage depuis 1997, son mécanisme complexe a été remis en état en 2009 pour à nouveau rythmer la vie de la cité et faire désormais l'objet de visites .

Jusqu’à cet endroit, la visite s’effectue en ascenseur. Puis, l’ascension se termine soixante marches plus haut sur la plate-forme ceinturée d’un parapet qui offre une vue époustouflante sur la région dunkerquoise.

Sources : Le Beffroi

Type: Building

Reference number: http://whc.unesco.org/fr/list/943/<943-039>

Visit Instructions:
Please upload at least one photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest World Heritage Sites
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Belfries of Belgium and France - Beffroi de l’église Saint-Eloi - Dunkerque , France, ID=943-039 11/11/2017 pmaupin visited it