By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Lion Statues - Ley Tomb, St Michael & All Angels - Teffont Evias, Wiltshire
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 51° 04.802 W 002° 00.808
30U E 569104 N 5659188
Quick Description: Lion statues at the feet of these recumbant effigies on the Ley tomb, St Michael & All Angels' church, Teffont Evias.
Location: South West England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 10/22/2017 1:34:54 AM
Waymark Code: WMWWBG
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member dreamhummie
Views: 0

Long Description:
Medieval lions at the feet of the effigies of Henry Ley (1574) and his sons William (1624) and Mathew (1632), dating from the 1630's when the memorial was built.

In these times of the 17th century the lion effigies didn't always look like lions - not many running around the British countryside - but in general lions would be found at the feet of men, and dogs at the feet of women. The dog is often found at the feet of the recumbent statues of women, sometimes children. It symbolizes loyalty to the soverain and to the kingdom but especially of faith. The dog is also guide in the kingdom of the dead. It is quite natural that the lion be associated with the king. The “king of beasts” is a symbol of strength, power and justice. We also see the evocation of the father, but also and above all, the resurrection of Christ. In the Middle Ages, it was thought that still-born lion cubs came to life again after three days thanks to the breath of the mother. The lion is always lying at the feet of the statues of men.

"Ley Chapel contains a large table tomb with effigies in stone of Henry Ley (d.1574) and two of his six sons, William (d. 1624) and Matthew (d. 1632). In 1545 Henry Ley purchased from King Henry VIII the Manor of Teffont Evias. The two sons died at the ripe ages of eighty and eighty-seven. A younger brother, James, was made Rector of the church at the age of eighteen but his duties cannot have weighed heavily upon him since we find it recorded that the butler performed necessary obligations.

James subsequently became Lord Treasurer of England and the first Earl of Marlborough. He has an elaborate monument in Westbury church. John Churchill, first Duke of Marlborough, was the grandson of the sister of James Ley’s third wife.
The effigies are shown in armour, that of the father being of a fashion earlier than that of the sons. Despite this, the tomb and the effigies are all of the same make and of a date subsequent to the death of Matthew. Until recently the figures retained considerable traces of the original colouring."

SOURCE - (visit link)
Physical Address:
St Michael
Teffont Evias, Wiltshire England
SP3 5RL


Web Site: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Take a photo of the lion.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lion Statues
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.