By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Hamilton County Courthouse -- Chattanooga TN
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Benchmark Blasterz
N 35° 02.916 W 085° 18.419
16S E 654407 N 3879742
Quick Description: The Hamilton County Courthouse in downtown Chattanooga, 2 blocks east of the Dixie Highway, would have been a great place for early travelers to stop for a picnic
Location: Tennessee, United States
Date Posted: 10/7/2017 10:10:47 AM
Waymark Code: WMWRF6
Published By: Groundspeak Regular Member Team Farkle 7
Views: 1

Long Description:
The Hamilton County Courthouse in downtown Chattanooga is a lovely Tennessee grey marble Beaux-Arts style building set back from a large expanse of landscaped flower beds, grass, and trees. Such a shady place (with bathrooms inside) would have been a great place for an early 1920s traveler on the Dixie Highway to stop for a break and a picnic.

The courthouse would also be of interest to tourists who might like to see the statues of Confederate General A. P. Stewart, a native of Tennessee, and Chief John Ross, the founder the city, which occupy prominent places on the courthouse grounds.

The Hamilton County courthouse is located at E 7th street and Georgia Avenue in downtown Chattanooga.

The Dixie Highway, whose headquarters are only a few blocks away at the former Patten Hotel, ran through Chattanooga along Market Street, which was later signed as US 27. Market Street in 2017 is also TN state route 8, US 27 having been widened and rerouted as a freeway on the western edge of Chattanooga decades ago.

From the Encyclopedia of Tennessee: (visit link)

"Dixie Highway Association
Home » Entries » Dixie Highway Association
By Leslie N. Sharp , Georgia Institute of Technology

Constructed between 1915 and 1927, the Dixie Highway was part of the new road system built in response to the growing number of motorists in the early decades of the twentieth century. When completed, the highway extended from Ontario, Canada, south 5,706 miles to Miami, Florida. The Dixie Highway Association provided the driving force behind the development of the highway. Motor enthusiasts and/or entrepreneurs formed the Dixie Highway Association and similar groups to promote the construction of roads that would connect cities to each other.

The idea for the Dixie Highway came from Carl G. Fisher, an Indiana entrepreneur and land speculator. By 1914 Fisher and Michigan businessman W. S. Gilbreath had gained enough support for this north-south highway to bring the idea to the annual meeting of the American Road Congress in Atlanta.

Governors Rye of Tennessee and Ralston of Indiana called an organizational meeting of the Dixie Highway Association for April 3, 1915, in Chattanooga. Over five thousand people attended this first meeting, including governors from Illinois, Ohio, Kentucky, Georgia, and Florida.

The Chattanooga Automobile Club, newly formed in 1914, was an enthusiastic supporter of the project and remained closely allied with the Dixie Highway Association throughout its history. Five local members of the Chattanooga Automobile Club and eight other men pledged one thousand dollars each for the formation of the Dixie Highway Association.

The purpose of the Dixie Highway Association was to build a permanent highway from a point on the Lincoln Highway near Chicago through Chattanooga to Miami, with an eventual extension north to Ontario. Both the eastern and western divisions of the highway passed through Tennessee. The western route headed south from Springfield through Nashville, Murfreesboro, Shelbyville, Tullahoma, Winchester, Cowan, and Monteagle to Chattanooga. The eastern division went south from the Cumberland Gap through Knoxville, Rockwood, and Dayton to Chattanooga.

The Dixie Highway Association headquarters were located in the Patten Hotel in Chattanooga, roughly the halfway point of the highway, and the incorporators who were delegated to create a charter for the association all came from Chattanooga. These prominent businessmen emerged as the biggest proponents of the highway in Tennessee. . . .

Allison remained an extremely active president throughout the life of the Dixie Highway Association until it disbanded in 1927. The Dixie Highway magazine was published in Chattanooga and prominently featured the city and region in articles and advertisements. . . ."
Americana: Roadside Attraction

Significant Interest: Other

Milestone or Marker: Other

Web Site Address: [Web Link]

Physical Address:
625 Georgia Ave
Chattanooga , TX


Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dixie Highway
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Benchmark Blasterz visited Hamilton County Courthouse -- Chattanooga TN 8/2/2017 Benchmark Blasterz visited it