St. Alphonsus Church Bell & Tower - Millwood, MO
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member YoSam.
N 39° 06.270 W 091° 06.372
15S E 663752 N 4330080
Quick Description: Bell was removed from the tower in 1971 and is mounted in front of the church.
Location: Missouri, United States
Date Posted: 7/17/2017 5:12:50 AM
Waymark Code: WMW6M4
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member MountainWoods
Views: 1

Long Description:

County of church: Lincoln County
Location of church: 29 St. Alphonsus Rd., St. Alphonsus Catholic Church, Millwood
Phone:(573) 384-6223
Architect: Henry P. Hess, of St. Louis
Contractor: Woods and Claiborne, of Louisiana, MO

The current state of the bell is in a stand in front of the church. It is rung at vespers and the main hours of the day....by hand

I asked Father Tichacek why it was removed from the tower on top of the church and placed here. He was not sure, and offered no sound reason. It was moved and placed here May 1971

This stand is about 7 feet high, the bell hangs at about 6 feet in height, so a photo next to it would be easy


"Ground was broken for the erection of the new brick church in March, 1926. Many delays have occurred in procuring material in time, but the work has progressed as fast as weather and other conditions would permit. After 18 months of almost incessant labor, the contractors, Woods and Claiborne, of Louisiana, have presented to the people of Millwood as fine a church as may be seen outside of the larger cities. The architect was Henry P. Hess, of St. Louis. It is built on the Romanesque type of architecture, with tower to correspond. Its dimensions are 109 by 53 feet, with 20 by 50 feet basement for the furnace and storage of coal. It is practically fireproof, well lighted and ventilated and has a seating capacity of 600. It is equipped with a steam heating plant with vapor system attached. The interior decorations or frescoe work will be taken care of as soon as the walls and ceilings have aged sufficiently. The choir galley has been built for the reception of a pipe organ which Father Carr hopes to have installed later on. The entire cost of construction when finished will be $52,000, which will include a remaining debt of about $5000. The interior of the church already presents a beautiful, inspiring appearance. Three beautiful altars of Scagliola marble have been donated as well as the statues of the Blessed Virgin, St. Joseph, the Sacred Heart, Sister St. Theresa the Little Flower and the Stations of the Cross, which are considered a rare work of art. A list of these donors, as well as the contributors to the church fund and the amounts given will be published later on. It reflects credit on the praiseworthy sacrifice of those who have accomplished this great work. Messrs. Woods and Claiborne say that our new church is of the most permanent and solid construction" ~ History of Millwood and St. Alphonsus Parish by Andrew Mudd Millwood, Missouri. November 17th, 1927 [in public domain, no copyright]

Address of Tower:
29 St. Alphonsus Rd., Millwood, MO 63377
Mailing change Millwood to Silex, and mail


Still Operational: yes

Number of bells in tower?: 1

Rate tower:

Tours or visits allowed in tower?: Yes

Relevant website?: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please post an original picture of the tower taken while you were there. Please also record how you came to be at this tower and any other interesting information you learned about it while there.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bell Towers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.