Ardmoreite Building - Ardmore, OK
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member QuarrellaDeVil
N 34° 10.462 W 097° 07.776
14S E 672384 N 3783070
Quick Description: Originally known as the Gilbert Building, the multi-purpose Ardmoreite Building is at 117 Broadway St, Ardmore, OK, and it has a Civil Defense Fallout Shelter sign at the east entrance.
Location: Oklahoma, United States
Date Posted: 6/21/2017 8:41:03 PM
Waymark Code: WMW0GE
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member NCDaywalker
Views: 1

Long Description:
Ardmore Main Street has a historical marker on the building which provides some history, noting continued use of the shelter space for refuge from storms:

This building, originally built in 1930 by architect J.B. White, was called the Gilbert Building. It was renamed the Ardmoreite Building in 1966 when it became the home of The Daily Ardmoreite. Between 1930 and 1966 many businesses called this property home including Oklahoma Gas and Electric, the Masonic Lodge and the Ardmore Little Theater. The area used by the Little Theater on the ground floor can still be recognized as having a catwalk, balcony seating, stage frame and a huge Viking head. And until 1975, the paper’s press units were housed in the orchestra pit. The Ardmoreite decided to entomb the old press in concrete in the former orchestra pit rather than try to remove it.

The Masons used the fifth floor of the building for meetings and socializing. The area has distinct and beautiful architectural work on the upper floors. There was a snack shop and grill in the lobby in the early years that served hamburgers, sandwiches, chips, etc.

This building has been home to four radio stations, three dentists, four ranchers, six oil companies, two photography shops, three insurance companies, two doctors of medicine, three financial companies, a credit service, a law firm, a television station, a newspaper, an electric company, a cosmetics firm, a roofing company, a Masonic Temple and a dried meat manufacturer.

The building has three elevators, two of which are freight elevators that are still operated manually. The third elevator was automated in the early 1970's. The building’s basement area has been used for a storm shelter for the public when there is severe local weather.

The Ardmoreite sign on the southwest corner of the building was renovated in 1996 to include lighting and is very visible at night.

Capacity of shelter: 235

Radiation monitoring equipment: Not Listed

Visit Instructions:
To find one of the waymarks, you need a picture of the sign and of the inside with your GPS in the picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Civil Defense Fallout Shelters
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.