By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Carrières du Boulonnais - Leulinghen-Bernes, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 50° 49.480 E 001° 44.121
31U E 410927 N 5631089
Quick Description: [EN] It is the largest quarry in France, with a right-of-way of about 2500 x 1500 m and a depth of 150 m. [FR] Il s'agit de la plus grande carrière de France, avec une emprise d'environ 2500 x 1500 m et une profondeur de 150 m.
Location: Hauts-de-France, France
Date Posted: 6/4/2017 11:58:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMVWM9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member NorStar
Views: 1

Long Description:

Historically, the quarries of the Boulonnais were quarries of "marble" (marble not metamorphic, word used here in the sense of the quarries), which exploited the limestones of Viséen capable of a very beautiful polish. For example, the Salle des Pas-Perdus of the Montparnasse station (in Paris), the Brest train station ... are paved with marble from the Boulonnais. This marble activity ceased in 2012.

The quarries of Boulonnais, which result from the regrouping and coalescence of several old quarries, exploit essentially the carbonates (especially the limestones) of the Viséen (lower Carboniferous), generally inclined forty degrees towards the south. It is the most important of the four major quarries currently exploiting the Paleozoic of Boulonnais (three "quarries" exploit the Viséen, a Devonian).

Today, the Grande Carrière du Boulonnais extracts 8 to 9 million tonnes (Mt), sells about 6 Mt (and therefore puts 2 to 3 Mt of cuttings and waste rock in storage). It is the biggest career of France. Of the 6 Mt marketed, 57% goes to the BTP (rockfill of 5 kg to 10 t, gravel and aggregates, ballast ...). Indeed, there are few coherent rocks in the region dominated by chalk ..., and the Paleozoic carbonates have the "regional monopoly" of hard rocks. The remaining 43% is destined for industry (sugar, glass, paper, steel ...), because certain levels of limestone are very pure and of constant quality. For example, of the 6 to 7 trains / day that leave the quarry, one is filled with calcareous aggregates (called "castine") destined for the steel mills close to Dunkerque.

The Boulonnais quarries employ 250 people, and provide 700 indirect jobs. Careers may sometimes be open to the public, for example during open houses.

Historiquement, les carrières du Boulonnais étaient des carrières de "marbre" (marbre non métamorphique, mot utilisé ici au sens des carriers), qui exploitaient les calcaires de Viséen susceptibles d'un très beau poli. Par exemple, la salle des pas-perdus de la gare Montparnasse (à Paris), de la gare de Brest… sont dallées en marbre du Boulonnais. Cette activité marbrière a cessé en 2012.

Les Carrières du Boulonnais, qui résultent du regroupement, de la coalescence de plusieurs anciennes carrières, exploitent essentiellement les carbonates (surtout les calcaires) du Viséen (Carbonifère inférieur), globalement inclinés d'une quarantaine de degrés vers le Sud. Il s'agit du plus important des quatre ensembles majeurs de carrières qui exploitent actuellement le Paléozoïque du Boulonnais (trois "carrières" exploitent le Viséen, une le Dévonien).

Aujourd'hui, la Grande Carrière du Boulonnais extrait 8 à 9 millions de tonnes (Mt), en commercialise environ 6 Mt (et donc met 2 à 3 Mt de déblais et stériles en dépôt). C'est la plus grande carrière de France. Sur les 6 Mt commercialisés, 57% vont au BTP (enrochement de 5 kg à 10 t, graviers et granulats, ballast…). En effet, il y a peu de roches cohérentes dans la région où domine la craie…, et les carbonates du Paléozoïques ont le "monopole régional" des roches dures. Les 43% restants sont destinés à l'industrie (sucre, verre, papier, acier…), car certains niveaux de calcaire sont très purs et de qualité constante. Par exemple, sur les 6 à 7 trains/jour qui quittent la carrière, un est rempli de granulats calcaires (nommés "castine") destinés aux aciéries toutes proches de Dunkerque.

Les carrières du Boulonnais emploient 250 personnes, et fournissent 700 emplois indirects. La carrière peut être parfois accessible au public, par exemple lors de journées portes ouvertes.

Sources : Les Carrières du Boulonnais

Type of Stone/Ore mined: The carbonates (especially limestones) of the Viséen

Associated Web Site: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please give the date and short account of your visit to the quarry. Additional photos are welcomed, but not required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Active Quarries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Carrières du Boulonnais - Leulinghen-Bernes, France 6/4/2017 pmaupin visited it