By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Katholische Kirche St. Martin - Engers - RLP - Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member CADS11
N 50° 25.367 E 007° 32.750
32U E 396702 N 5586649
Quick Description: Glocken der Katholische Kirche St. Martin
Location: Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
Date Posted: 5/23/2017 12:18:08 PM
Waymark Code: WMVRDP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member rjmcdonough1
Views: 2

Long Description:
DE: Die Pfarrkirche St. Martin im Neuwieder Stadtteil Engers in Rheinland-Pfalz wurde 1896 in neoromanischen Formen errichtet. Die katholische Kirche gehört zum Dekanat Rhein-Wied im Bistum Trier. Seit dem 21. November 2003 steht sie unter Denkmalschutz.

Geschichte
Die ursprüngliche Martinskirche war eine königliche Gründung aus fränkischer Zeit. Engers wurde bereits im Jahr 906 unter Erzbischof Radbod von Trier Mutterpfarrei eines Dekanats. Im 14. Jahrhundert wird von dem Bau einer gotischen Pfarrkirche St. Martin in Engers berichtet, welche um 1600 in einem Kupferstich von Merian abgebildet ist. Beim großen Stadtbrand von Engers im Jahr 1778 brennt die Kirche bis auf Reste des Chores nieder. Als flach gedeckte Hallenkirche im barocken Stil wird sie 1783 wieder errichtet, der verbliebene gotische Chor wird in den Neubau einbezogen. Diese Kirche wird 1896 abgerissen, weil diese für die angewachsene Gemeinde inzwischen zu klein war.

Die heutige Kirche St. Martin wurde von Josef Moritz aus Cochem nach Plänen des Düsseldorfer Architekten Busch in neoromanischen Formen gebaut. Der Grundstein für den Neubau der Kirche wurde im Juni 1897 gelegt, im September 1898 wurde sie von der Gemeinde zu Gottesdiensten in Gebrauch genommen und am 21. Juni 1900 vom Trierer Bischof Michael Felix Korum konsekriert.

Die Orgel wurde 1909 fertiggestellt und 1924 wurden vier Bronzeglocken eingebaut, welche 1942 zu Kriegszwecken eingeschmolzen wurden.

Baubeschreibung
Die dreischiffige, geräumige Säulenbasilika mit Querhaus und quadratischem, rhombendachbekröntem Westturm in neoromanischen Formen wirkt in ihrem Äußeren aufgrund der dunklen Wandflächen und sich hiervon gut absetzenden hellen Architekturgliederungen rheinischer Prägung aus Backstein und Tuff eindrucksvoll. Der Innenraum ist gratgewölbt im gebundenen System.
Permanentlink: (visit link)
Datum des Abrufs: 23. Mai 2017, 18:57 UTC

Die größte Glocke hat ein Gewicht von 5400kg und einen Durchmesser von 2378mm, Sie wurde 1946 gegossen und ist auf gis gestimmt.



EN: The parish church of St. Martin in the Neuwieder district of Engers in Rhineland - Palatinate was built 1896 in neo - Romanic forms. The Catholic Church belongs to the deanery Rhein-Wied in the diocese of Trier. Since November 21, 2003, it has been declared a Historic Monument.

story
The original Martinskirche was a royal foundation from the Franconian period. Engers was already in 906 under Archbishop Radbod of Trier motherpfarrei a dean's office. In the 14th century the construction of a gothic parish church of St. Martin in Engers, circa 1600, is depicted in a copper engraving by Merian. The church burned down to the remains of the choir in the great town burn of Engers in 1778. It is rebuilt in 1783 as a flat-roofed hall church in the baroque style. The remaining Gothic choir is included in the new building. This church was demolished in 1896 because it was now too small for the growing community.

The present church of St. Martin was built by Josef Moritz from Cochem in neo-Romanesque forms according to plans by the Düsseldorf architect Busch. The foundation stone for the new construction of the church was laid in June 1897; in September 1898 it was used by the church for worship services and was consecrated on June 21, 1900 by the Trier bishop Michael Felix Korum.

The organ was completed in 1909 and four bronze bells were installed in 1924, which were melted in 1942 for war purposes.

specifications
The three-aisled, spacious column basilica with a transverse house and square, rhomb-roofed West Tower in Neo-Romanesque forms impressively impresses in its exterior on account of the dark wall surfaces and the well-contrived bright architectural elements of Rhenish imprint of brick and tuff. The interior is burr-vaulted in the bound system.
Address of Tower:
Klosterstraße 2
Engers, RLP Geramany
56564


Still Operational: yes

Number of bells in tower?: 4

Rate tower:

Relevant website?: Not listed

Tours or visits allowed in tower?: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Please post an original picture of the tower taken while you were there. Please also record how you came to be at this tower and any other interesting information you learned about it while there.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Bell Towers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
CADS11 visited Katholische Kirche St. Martin - Engers - RLP - Germany 1/31/2018 CADS11 visited it