By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Les clochers de Saint Pierre de Montpellier - France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Alfouine
N 43° 36.749 E 003° 52.487
31T E 570589 N 4829205
Quick Description: La cathédrale Saint-Pierre de Montpellier est une cathédrale surmontée de deux énormes tours carrées pour clocher. The cathedral of Saint-Pierre of Montpellier is a cathedral surmounted by two enormous square towers to steeple.
Location: Occitanie, France
Date Posted: 4/28/2017 2:03:43 PM
Waymark Code: WMVKB9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
Views: 5

Long Description:
Credits : (visit link)

"La cathédrale Saint-Pierre était à l'origine la chapelle du Monastère-Collège Saint-Benoît Saint-Germain, fondée en 1364, par le pape Urbain V. Cette église fut érigée en cathédrale en 1536, lorsque le siège épiscopal est transféré de Maguelone à Montpellier. L'historienne montpelliéraine Louise Guiraud décrit précisément l'architecture du bâtiment ainsi que la composition des différentes chapelles.
Quatre tours s'élèvent aux angles de la nef, dont l'une fut abattue lors des mouvements iconoclastes de 1567. Le bâtiment est muni de défenses importantes, ce qui en fait une forteresse. À la fin du xvie siècle on la surnomme d'ailleurs le « fort Saint-Pierre ». L'une des façades était couronnée par des mâchicoulis surmontés de créneaux, derrière lesquels devait courir un chemin de ronde dans l'épaisseur du mur. L'entrée est précédée d'un porche massif, composé de deux piliers cylindriques et d'une voûte reliant les piliers à la façade de l'église.
Ce sont pratiquement les seuls éléments de l'architecture médiévale de la cathédrale que l'on peut encore observer aujourd'hui. L'église était composée d'un vaisseau unique, de cinq travées délimitant les chapelles latérales au nombre de quatorze. Elles sont dédiées à saint Germain, à Notre Dame, à saint-Victor, à sainte Cécile, sainte Ursule et les onze mille vierges, saint Martin, sainte Catherine, à la Sainte Croix, à saint Pierre, sainte Marie Madeleine, saint Blaise, saint Lazare et saint Michel. L'ornementation de l'église était très riche. L'autel majeur était entouré d'un retable de vermeil. Au rez-de-chaussée, la petite sacristie était commune avec l'église. Il y avait à l'intérieur des armoires à plusieurs serrures, dont l'une ou l'on avait pour habitude de conserver des reliques (bras d'argent de saint Benoît, de saint Germain et de saint Blaise) ainsi que des livres et du linge dans des coffres. Cette sacristie était dite mineure par opposition à la sacristie majeure qui contenait le trésor (reliquaires, vases sacrés, ornements précieux)"

"Saint-Pierre Cathedral was originally the chapel of the Saint-Benoît Saint-Germain Monastery-College, founded in 1364 by Pope Urban V. This church was erected as a cathedral in 1536, when the episcopal seat was transferred from Maguelone in Montpellier, the Montpellier historian Louise Guiraud describes the architecture of the building and the composition of the various chapels.
Four towers rise to the corners of the nave, one of which was defeated during the iconoclastic movements of 1567. The building has important defenses, which makes it a fortress. At the end of the sixteenth century, it was called "Fort Saint-Pierre". One of the facades was crowned by machicolations surmounted by crenellations, behind which was to run a round path in the thickness of the wall. The entrance is preceded by a solid porch, consisting of two cylindrical pillars and a vault connecting the pillars to the facade of the church.
These are practically the only elements of the medieval architecture of the cathedral that can still be observed today. The church consisted of a single vessel, with five bays delimiting the side chapels, fourteen in number. They are dedicated to Saint Germain, Notre Dame, St. Victor, St. Cecilia, St. Ursula and the eleven thousand virgins, St. Martin, St. Catherine, the Holy Cross, St. Peter, St. Mary Magdalene, St. Blaise, St. Lazarus and St. Michael. The ornamentation of the church was very rich. The major altar was surrounded by a gilded altarpiece. On the ground floor, the small sacristy was common with the church. Inside there were lockers with several locks, one of which was used to keep relics (the silver arm of Saint Benedict, Saint Germain and Saint Blaise), as well as books and Linen in safes. This sacristy was said to be minor as opposed to the major sacristy which contained the treasure (reliquaries, sacred vases, precious ornaments)"
Location of the Steeple:
Rue Saint Pierre
Montpellier, France
34000


Approximate Date of Construction: 1364

Website: [Web Link]

Rate this Steeple:

Visit Instructions:
Enjoy your visit, tell your story and post a picture.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Unique Steeples
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Jean Bat' visited Les clochers de Saint Pierre de Montpellier - France 4/19/2018 Jean Bat' visited it
Petris 3 visited Les clochers de Saint Pierre de Montpellier - France 10/4/2017 Petris 3 visited it

View all visits/logs