Obere Mühle - Meckenheim, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Narayan,
N 50° 37.104 E 007° 01.775
32U E 360610 N 5609243
Quick Description: DE: Wassermühle an der Swist, bis 1972 in Betrieb gewesen. EN: Water mill at the stream Swist, operating until 1972.
Location: Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
Date Posted: 4/21/2017 4:08:02 AM
Waymark Code: WMVHEZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Iris & Harry
Views: 2

Long Description:
DE:
Die Usprünge der Oberen Mühle Meckenheim reichen bis in das 14. Jahrhundert zurück. Schon damals existierten in Meckenheim zwei Bannmühlen, von denen seit 1967 nur noch die "Obere Mühle" erhalten ist. Sie gehörte ursprünglich dem Cassius-Stift in Bonn und war zunächst an die Herren von Tomburg und seit 1478 an verschiedene Rechtsnachfolger der Tomburger verpachtet. In preußischer Zeit, gegen Mitte des 19. Jahrhunderts, waren die Mühle und der angrenzende Hof im Besitz der Familie Hufschlag. Zu Beginn des 20. Jahrhunderts fiel die Mühle durch Heirat an die Familie Irnich. Im Jahr 1972 musste sie aufgegeben werden, da sie dem Konkurrenzdruck der nach dem zweiten Weltkrieg ausgebauten großen Industriemühlen nicht standhalten und die neuen lebensmittelrechtlichen Standards nicht erfüllen konnte. 1992 ging die Mühle in das Eigentum der Stadt Meckenheim über.

Die "Obere Mühle Meckenheim" ist seit 1987 ein eingetragenes technisches Denkmal. Seit 2003 bemüht sich der Verein "Pro Obere Mühle Meckenheim e.V." mit einer Gruppe engagierter Bürger um den Erhalt der Anlage und eine Umnutzung als Besuchermühle. Im Jahr 2010 setzte die Stadt Meckenheim mit eigenen, mit Landesmitteln sowie mit Fördermitteln der Deutschen Stiftung Denkmalschutz die Grundsanierung des Mühlengebäudes und des Maschinenhauses um.

Text von Informationstafel und aus KuLaDig.



EN:
The mill "Obere Mühle Meckenheim" (i.e. "upper mill") dates back to the 14th century. Even then, two mills existed in Meckenheim, from which only this one is preserved since 1967. Originally, it belonged to the Cassius-Stift in Bonn and was leased to the knights of Tomburg and since 1478 to several successors in title. In the Prussian age, in the middle of the 19th century, the family Hufschlag was the owner of the mill and of the adjacent farm. At the beginning of the 20th century, the mill became property of the family Irnich by marriage. In the year 1972 it had to be abandoned because of the competition of large industrial mills, which had been extended after World War II. The small mill was not able to compete with them and to comply with new food production regulations. In 1992, the city of Meckenheim became the owner of the mill.

The "Obere Mühle Meckenheim" is a registered technical monument since 1987. Since 2003, the non-profit organization "Pro Obere Mühle Meckenheim e.V." and a group of commited citizens make an effort to preserve the building and to open it for visitors. In 2010, the city of Meckenheim renovated the mill building and the machine house with communal and state funds as well as with subsides from the German foundation for monument preservation.



More Information (in German):
KuLaDig / LVR
Verein "Pro Obere Mühle Meckenheim e.V."
This waymark is also listed in the category Water Mills.
Adresse/Adress:
Obere Mühle 8
Meckenheim, Germany
53340


Baujahr/Year of construction: 14th century

Bestätigung/confirmation:

Ja/Yes


Denkmalnummer/monument number: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Ein selbstgemachtes Foto des Denkmals wird zum Loggen benötigt.
---
A picture taken during your visit is required.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Deutsche Denkmallisten - German Monument Registers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.