St. Jude Chapelry, Andreas - St. Judes, Isle of Man
Posted by: Mike_bjm
N 54° 20.402 W 004° 27.832
30U E 404830 N 6022342
Quick Description: This attractive little Church was built to a desgin by John Welch in 1839 and consecrated in 1841.
Location: Isle of Man
Date Posted: 4/20/2017 3:02:37 PM
Waymark Code: WMVHDJ
The neat, walled, well kept Churchyard contains gravestones dating from the mid 19th Century to the present day.
This Church was built to a desgin by John Welch in 1839 and consecrated in 1841.
The present Church is an attractive confection with the plaster rendering contrasting beautifully with the strong stonework. The tower like that of Jurby Church became dangerous and the Church was deened to be at risk for sometime before restoration work was carried out.
The octagonal corner buttressing chimneys on all four corners of the Church are remarkably similar to those those of the Nummery on the outskirts of Douglas.
St Jude Chapelry receives priestly ministry from Revd Cyril Rogers of the Parish of The Northern Plain and is one of six churches in this Parish the others being St Mary de Ballaugh; Ballaugh Old Church: St Andrew, Andreas; St Patrick, Jurby; and St Stephen, Sulby.
source: An Introduction to the Architecture of the Isle of Man by Patricia Tutt (ISBN:978-1-907945-10-6)
source: (visit link