By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Lambeth Lawn Bowling - London, Ontario
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Keldar5
N 42° 54.552 W 081° 17.955
17T E 475572 N 4750774
Quick Description: A lawning bowling.
Location: Ontario, Canada
Date Posted: 4/11/2017 8:49:51 AM
Waymark Code: WMVFAV
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 1

Long Description:
From the website(
Early details are somewhat sketchy however we do have the original minute book.- covering the time period Sept. 10, 1917 to May 25th, 1939.  The following information has been extracted from this book. 
Plans for lawn bowling operations began in July 1916 with actual play starting in July, 1917.
The first General Meeting of the Lambeth Lawn Bowling Club met at the home of President Dr. A. R. Routledge, September 10, 1917.  Dr. Routledge lived in a beautiful two storey home where Copp's Lumber is now situated.  There were 22 gentlemen present, two of them being David Anguish (Mary Alene Dudley's grandfather) and Sharon Kelly, (Edwin Kelly's father).  Membership fee - $5.00.
The by-laws formed at a previous meeting were read and adopted.  A transcript of the minutes of this meeting can be found at the back of this publication.   In these minutes, mention is made that thanks was given to C.H. Ward and Co., Thomas Gillean and Chas Spiran who presented the Club with cups for different competitions. The "Gillean Cup" was found in recent years during renovations and re-silvered in 1978.  The Club still uses it today. 
November 2, 1917 - At the second meeting held at the home of Mr. W. K. Coldicott, it was agreed to accept a gift of $7.14 from Mr. Carley representing an account owed by the Club.
At this meeting it was discussed the Lawn Bowling Club would enter into a lease of the Bowling Club property with the Village Trustees at a cost of $1.00 per year. (Note:  we now lease the property from the City of London at a cost of $1.00 per year)
May 3, 1918 - Boys under eighteen years were accepted for membership at the membership fee of $3.00.
The secretary was instructed to forward $3.00 affiliation fee to the Western Ontario Bowling Association located at 57 Dundas Street, London, ON.  (W.O.B.A.) 
July 2, 1918 - A presentation was made to Mr. A. Carley (owned the general store and was the village post master) in consideration of the splendid work done by him while acting as caretaker of the grounds.  The presentation being "a pair of bowls" suitably inscribed. Mr. Carley was paid $50.00 for services rendered. (Note:  Bowling was initially a game of Fours - Triples, Doubles and Singles were introduced at a later date)
July 27, 1918 - A motion was made and adopted that "skips at local tournaments shall accept the draw as made and in the event of an objection being raised the objector shall withdraw.
November 15, 1918 - A motion was made and adopted that the Club operate a skating rink in the coming winter.  The executive are to make immediate arrangements to put the rink in condition. (Note:  The skating rink was located east of the Club House)
At a General Meeting, May 12, 1919, a motion was carried that all returning soldiers' membership fees be $2.50.  
And further, 
that the President and three other members to be selected by him to personally visit all the Clubs in the City of London and extend an invitation for membership not to exceed more than eight members from any one club.
Playing Surface: Natural Grass Surface

Type of location: Outdoor

Number of rinks: 3

Address of lawn bowling location:
4326 Colnel Talbot Road
Lambeth, Ontario Canada

Visit Instructions:
A new photo of the location. Bonus points with players. Point deductions for including a GPS in the photo...please don't.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Lawn Bowling
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Timo Explorer visited Lambeth Lawn Bowling - London, Ontario 7/13/2019 Timo Explorer visited it