1828 1908 - Smith & Winchester Mfg Co - Windham, CT
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member nomadwillie
N 41° 40.733 W 072° 10.253
18T E 735486 N 4617992
Quick Description: Smith & Winchester Manufacturing Co. of South Windham, Connecticut, was a manufacturer of paper making machinery.
Location: Connecticut, United States
Date Posted: 3/28/2017 6:41:49 PM
Waymark Code: WMVBM0
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 0

Long Description:
Smith & Winchester Manufacturing Co. of South Windham, Connecticut, was a manufacturer of paper making machinery. The company, which traced its roots to the 1820s, made significant contributions and advancements in the papermaking industry in the 19th and 20th centuries. In 1827, George Spafford, a machinist, was hired to install a Fourdrinierpapermaking machine imported from England by Joseph Pickering, a paper maker in North Windham. The Fourdrinier machine was the first to successfully mechanize the production of paper in endless rolls, rather than single sheets. Pickering's Fourdrinier was the first installed in the United States. Spafford recognized the technological innovation of the Fourdrinier machine, and understood the cost and difficulty of importing it. He joined with James Phelps, an experienced mill builder, to begin manufacturing Fourdrinier machines in the United States. Phelps & Spafford was founded, and established a small factory in South Windham, Connecticut. The firm sold and installed its first, improved version of the Fourdrinier in 1829.
Phelps & Spafford flourished until the financial crash of 1837, when the company's losses forced it to close. The partners sold the business to Charles Smith and Harvey Winchester, two employees who were also Spafford's brothers-in-law. Re-organized as Smith, Winchester & Company, the firm continued to grow and sold its papermaking and related machines to mills in the U. S. market—including to California's first paper company in 1856—and global markets such as Canada, Mexico, India, Japan, China, Europe, and South America. Through the 19th century, Smith, Winchester developed and produced innovative papermaking equipment, such as paper cutting and paper-bag-making machines. The company was incorporated in 1905 as the Smith & Winchester Manufacturing Company. It continued as an independent business until 1965, when it was purchased by Cameron Machines. The company was sold to H. L. Diehl in 1969, and its manufacturing operations ceased soon after.

Source: (visit link)
Year of construction: 1828

Full inscription:
1828 1908


Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.