Pohled na Emauzy by Jan Minarik - Prague, Czech Republic
Posted by: ToRo61
N 50° 04.397 E 014° 24.999
33U E 458256 N 5546942
Quick Description: Pohled na Emauzy by Jan Minarik
Location: Hlavni mesto Praha, Czech Republic
Date Posted: 3/15/2017 3:18:50 PM
Waymark Code: WMV8V5
The Benedictine Monastery Church of the Virgin Mary was founded by Slavs in the 14th December 1347, when Pope Clement VI granted the request of Charles IV. and gave his consent to the establishment of the monastery with the Slavonic liturgy. The monastery was taught by Benedictines monks who are called the Eastern rite of Dalmatia and Croatia, and who used it as a liturgical language Old Church Slavonic. It was the intention of the Emperor to consolidate the Slavic relations and help to eliminate divisions between the Western and Eastern churches. It was the only Slavic monastery and one non-Latin associations in Western Christianity during Charles‘ reign. The monastery became a center of learning and the arts. Among the language students of Cyril and Methodius were Jan Hus, Jerome of Prague, and others. There arose a series of illuminated literary gems, including the so-called Reims Gospel, which through Constantinople, the Hussite message entered the treasure of the French Monarchial coronation.
The author of this painting is Jan Minarík. You can find this painting in book 'Starou Prahou Jana Minaríka' (visit link
Jan Bedrich Minarík (December 15, 1862, Prague-Vyšehad - May 26, 1937) (visit link
) , was a Czech painter and graphic artist, pupil J. Marák at the Prague Academy. He became famous as a painter of motifs disappearing part of Prague. His work falls within the years 1907-1911. His paintings captured Josefov district and some parts of the Old Town and New Town. Also captured a number of motifs vanishing areas or individual houses. He also painted on Vysehrad, Mala Strana and Prague Castle.
Klášter sv. Jeronýma, Cyrila a Metodeje, Vojtecha a Prokopa s kostelem P. Marie Na Slovanech (Emauzy), založený Karlem IV. v roce 1347, byl vícekrát barokne upravován a v 80. letech 19. století regotizován zdejším beuronskými benediktinskými mnichy. V popredí vpravo dum c.p. 1409/11 a naproti pivovar Na Slovanech c.p. 1396/11. oba v podobe z doby kolem roku 1860.
Malíruv pohled na klášter Na Slovanech (Emauzy) byl porízen ze vzdálenejšího místa než dovolila dnešnímu fotografovi budova Ministerstva práce a sociálních vecí. Domy C.p. 1409/11 a 1396/11 byly zboreny v roce 1929 a pred rokem 1948. V roce 1968 byla podle návrhu Františka Maria Cerného dokoncena rekonstrukce veží kostela, znicených pri náletu 14. února 1945.