Karl-Marx-Hof, Heiligenstadt - Wien, Austria
not assigned a category yet
Posted by: SMacB
N 48° 14.964 E 016° 21.842
33U E 601258 N 5344920
Quick Description: AUSTRIA - CIRCA 1959: A stamp printed in Austria shows Karl Marx Hof by Karl Ehn architect, at Heiligenstadt, Vienna, series, circa 1959. - Philatelic Photographs - Free for anyone to categorize.
Location: Wien, Austria
Date Posted: 3/11/2017 10:06:17 AM
Waymark Code: WMV7WX
Philatelic Photographs - Free for anyone to categorize.
"Karl-Marx-Hof (English: Karl Marx Court) is one of the best-known Gemeindebauten (English: municipal tenement complexes) in Vienna, situated in Heiligenstadt, a neighbourhood of the 19th district of Vienna, Döbling.
At over a kilometre in length (1,100 metres (0.68 mi)) and spanning four Straßenbahn (tram) stops, Karl-Marx-Hof holds the distinction of being the longest single residential building in the world.
Karl-Marx-Hof is built on land that, until the 12th century, had been under the waters of the Danube, deep enough for ships to travel over the area. By 1750, all that remained was a pool of water, which was drained on the order of Holy Roman Emperor Joseph II. Gardens were then built in the area, but these were removed by the Vienna city council, then under the "Red Vienna" period of control by the Social Democratic Party of Austria, to make room for the erection of Karl-Marx-Hof, financed by a special tax named after councillor Hugo Breitner, commissioning locally and internationally renowned architects.
Karl-Marx-Hof was built between 1927 and 1930 by city planner Karl Ehn, a follower of Otto Wagner. It held 1,382 apartments (with a size of 30–60 m² each). Only 18.5% of the 156,000 m²-large area was built up, with the rest of the area developed into play areas and gardens. Designed for a population of about 5,000, the premises include many amenities, including laundromats, baths, kindergartens, a library, doctor offices, and business offices."
SOURCE - (visit link