Lindwurm Fountain - Klagenfurt, Austria
not assigned a category yet
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member SMacB
N 46° 37.436 E 014° 18.467
33T E 447006 N 5163607
Quick Description: AUSTRIA - CIRCA 1957: A stamp printed in Austria shows Dragon Fountain in Klagenfurt, from the series "Buildings in Austria", circa 1957. - Philatelic Photographs - Free for anyone to categorize.
Location: Kärnten, Austria
Date Posted: 3/11/2017 8:01:35 AM
Waymark Code: WMV7W2
Views: 3

Long Description:
Philatelic Photographs - Free for anyone to categorize.

"The Lindwurmbrunnen on the Neue Platz in Klagenfurt on Lake Wörth, from the 16th century, is the landmark of the city and represents the city's flag , a lindworm.

The fountain was commissioned by the city in 1583 by order of the Carinthian estates . The work has long been attributed to Ulrich and Andreas Vogelsang, but it probably comes from an anonymous master. The material used was chlorite slate from nearby Kreuzberg , as it was also used at the country house . The lindworm was cut from a single block. The monumental sculpture shows the animal with its mouth open, from which water flows, and landscaped wings. The armor is punched, its tail is artfully curved. In a placative form language the threat of the animal is represented here. The style can be reinterpreted both manneristically and in the Romanesque style.

The completed, six-ton-heavy work was to be transported to the New Square in 1593 by 300 white-dressed youths. Originally, the lindworm with its head stood to the north. He had no well, although this was planned from the beginning. The fountain was not added until 1624, but the east-west orientation was probably the same. In 1634 the fountain was given a wrought-iron grate with flowers and coat of arms in the style of the late renaissance by Georg Tillitz. On the base of the memorial are the coat of arms of the five decrees, one coat of arms for the Burggraf and the general owner. On the western front is the Carinthian coat of arms , surmounted by an obelisk . In the past, the lattice and coat of arms were painted in color.

In 1636, the Hercules statue of Gurker Hofbildhauer Michael Hönel became part of the ensemble. Hercules' swinging cantilever reduces the heraldic effect of the well, but recalls Klagenfurt's founding day. The Lindwurm is said to have been slain by courageous men in the Carinthian provincial capital, which made the area safe and populous.

In 1972 the Lindwurmbrunnen was moved to the west, in the course of the construction of an underground car park underneath the Neuer Platz, to its present location. In 1997 a general renovation took place, which lasted for three years. In 2013 a re-partialization was necessary, after cracks had appeared in the tail of the Lindwurm. "

SOURCE - (visit link)
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.