By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Le Château de la Forge - Lhommaizé - Vienne, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member pmaupin
N 46° 25.653 E 000° 35.418
31T E 314856 N 5144374
Quick Description: [EN] The castle is called the castle of the Forge because of the presence of the forges next door. [FR] Le château porte le nom de château de la Forge en raison de la présence des forges juste à côté.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 3/2/2017 8:08:16 AM
Waymark Code: WMV675
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 1

Long Description:

[EN] In Lhommaizé, about thirty kilometers from Poitiers, stands the castle of the Forge built from 1764 to 1768. Its park is closed by a magnificent gate. Next to it a forge operated from 1595 to 1886. It was transformed into a distillery, now in ruins

The driving force came from the waterfall of the pond, ore and charcoal from the many family properties.

This castle was built in the 18th century thanks to the exploitation of the forges located a few steps away.

It imposes itself by its classical style and by its location because it is located at the confluence of the Rin and the Dive. The initiative of its construction comes to Jean Baptiste Victor of Rochechouart, Duke of Morthemart, and to Charlotte Nathalie of Manneville, his third wife.

The architect responsible for the plans for the construction of the complex, including the logis, the commons and the French-style park, is Robert Penchaud. He also made plans for the professional premises of the forge. About 400 workers were needed for the construction of the monument and the work lasted nearly five years.

But in 1789, it was the Revolution! Owned by the dukes of Morthemar until that date, the forge and the castle were entrusted to the Robert de Beauchamp in 1791, masters of the forges from father to son, who became owners of the forge as a national property in 1798. They went To possess it until today.

The castle is called the castle of the Forge because of the presence of forges just next door. The magnificent gates of the castle, surmounted by the ducal crown, were made in 1769 by the blacksmiths who themselves worked in the forges: these are Vallee and Gabriel. 15165 pounds of iron were necessary for its realization.

The castle of the Forge, private property, can be visited in summer.

Castle of the Forge, 86410 Lhommaizé, tel. : 05.49.42.70.01.

Open from 1st to 10th July and from 1st to 30th September.

Guided tours every day from 10 am to 12 pm and from 2:30 pm to 6 pm.

[FR] A Lhommaizé, à une trentaine de kilomètres de Poitiers, se dresse le château de la Forge construit de 1764 à 1768. Son parc est fermé par une magnifique grille. A côté une forge a fonctionné de 1595 à 1886. Elle fut transformée en distillerie, aujourd’hui en ruine.

La force motrice provenait de la chute d’eau de l’étang, le minerai et le charbon de bois des nombreuses propriétés de la famille.

Ce château a été édifié au XVIIIe siècle grâce à l’exploitation des forges situées à quelques pas de là.

Il s’impose par son style classique et par sa localisation car il se situe à la confluence du Rin et de la Dive. L’initiative de sa construction en revient à Jean Baptiste Victor de Rochechouart, Duc de Morthemart, et à Charlotte Nathalie de Manneville, sa troisième épouse.

L’architecte chargé des plans de la construction de l’ensemble, comprenant le logis, les communs et le parc à la française, est Robert Penchaud. Il fit aussi les plans des locaux professionnels de la forge. Il a fallu à peu près 400 ouvriers pour la construction du monument et les travaux ont duré près de cinq ans.

Mais en 1789, c’est la Révolution ! Propriété des ducs de Morthemar jusqu’à cette date, la forge et le château sont confiés en 1791 aux Robert de Beauchamp, maîtres des forges de père en fils, et qui en deviennent propriétaires lors de la vente comme bien national en 1798. Ils vont le posséder jusqu’à aujourd’hui.

Le château porte le nom de château de la Forge en raison de la présence des forges juste à côté. Les magnifiques grilles du château, surmontées de la couronne ducale, ont été fabriquées en 1769 par les forgerons qui eux-mêmes travaillaient dans les forges : il s’agit de Vallée et Gabriel. 15165 livres de fer furent nécessaires à sa réalisation.

Le château de la Forge, propriété privée, se visite en été.

Château de la Forge, 86410 Lhommaizé, tél. : 05.49.42.70.01.

Ouvert du 1er au 10 juillet et du 1er au 30 septembre.

Visites guidées tous les jours de 10h à 12h et de 14h30 à 18h.

Sources : Le Château de la Forge

Accessibility: No access- Private

Condition: Intact

Admission Charge?: no

Website: [Web Link]

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Castles
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
pmaupin visited Le Château de la Forge - Lhommaizé - Vienne, France 2/20/2017 pmaupin visited it