Old Parish Cemetery - Norwood, MA
Posted by: NorStar
N 42° 11.770 W 071° 11.885
19T E 318515 N 4673895
Quick Description: The Old Parish Cemetery in Norwood is the oldest cemetery in the old 'South Dedham Parish.'
Location: Massachusetts, United States
Date Posted: 2/16/2017 5:18:05 PM
Waymark Code: WMV3D1
In Norwood, by the Norwood Depot Commuter Rail Station, is the Old Parish Cemetery, which is the oldest cemetery in Norwood.
The cemetery has two entrances. One is off Railroad Avenue, west of the station parking lot, and one off Washington Street. The cemetery is closed most times, so look for postings on when it is open or contact the Norwood Board of Selectmen for an appointment.
The grounds are hilly and mostly open in the center and medium-sized shade trees along the edge. Tombstones of various sizes and shapes (and angles) are arranged all over.
The most well-known grave is the local legend, Aaron Guild, who was a veteran of the American Revolutionary War. Other tombs include other veterans, former pastors of the church in Norwood and other families of note.
The cemetery was established circa 1740. At the time, Norwood was still part of the town of Dedham, having several names, including the parish of South Dedham. A small addition was added in 1826. It was active until the 1880s when the Highland Cemetery was opened elsewhere in town. In fact, some of the graves were removed to the new cemetery.
Norwood Record (Old Parish Cemetery Gates To Open):