St. Bridget's Church - Bride, Isle of Man
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Mike_bjm
N 54° 22.951 W 004° 23.372
30U E 409756 N 6026971
Quick Description: St. Bridget's Church, Bride in the Church of England Diocese of Sodar & Man.
Location: Isle of Man
Date Posted: 2/16/2017 12:58:11 AM
Waymark Code: WMV39B
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Original church dated from around 1200 and was rebuilt and consecrated in 1876 by Bishop Selwyn. The Architect was either Joseph Henry Christian or Ewan Christian.

The Adam and Eve stone which once formed part of chancel floor is now on an inside wall (this is one of just six in the British Isles).

"The foundation stone of the present church was laid on July 29, 1869, by the wife of the then Lieutenant Governor, Mrs Loch.

Its construction was not uneventful, as it was discovered that the weight of the structure would make it sink into the soft ground if precautions were not taken. Masonry from the old church was therefore used to provide a solid foundation.

As work proceeded, funds became exhausted and parishioners feared they would see themselves worshipping in a broken, half-finished structure.

Fortunately, the church was saved by Miss Isabella Callister, a local philanthropist who stepped in to complete the building at a cost to herself of £600. Miss Callister (later Mrs Farrant) also built the rectory."

The church design is based on a simple basilica plan, with a semi-circle apse and high lombardic tower. The edifice comprises a nave and chancel. The windows are all stained glass, all given by loal benefactors. It can accommodate a congregation of 150.

"Dedicated to St Bridget, the church was consecrated on September 8, 1876, by Bishop Selwyn, first bishop of New Zealand, later bishop of Lichfield.

The oak altar, prayer desk, pulpit and oak font cover are all work of John Kelly of Kirk Michael.

The eagle lectern was purchased in 1893. Bishop Wilson’s chair was given to the church by the late Mrs R. W. Lascelles in 1933.

The organ was installed in 1882 by a Mr H. W. Hewitt from Leicester who accepted the old harmonium as £15 part payment, so the total remaining cost was reduced to £50."

source: (visit link)

source: (visit link)

source: (visit link)
Active Church: Yes

School on property: No

Date Built: 9/8/1876

Service Times: Sunday 11:15 am

Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Take a picture of the Church. Please try to keep your GPSr out of the photo.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Anglican and Episcopal Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.