By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Le Grand Orgue de la Cathédrale Saint-Gatien - Tours, France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Chickilim
N 47° 23.728 E 000° 41.676
31T E 326031 N 5251689
Quick Description: [E] This organ is located in Cathedral Saint-Gatien in Tours, Centre-Val de Loire. (F] Cette orgue se trouve dans la Cathédrale Saint-Gatien à Tours en Indre-et-Loire.
Location: Centre-Val-de-Loire, France
Date Posted: 2/13/2017 7:33:30 PM
Waymark Code: WMV2T9
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Team GPSaxophone
Views: 9

Long Description:
[E] Important documents uncovered in February 1997 by J.M. Gorry, project manager for archives studies concerning organ inventory in the Center region, completely renewed the history of the instrument during the 16th and 17th centuries.

An organ, nothing is known about it, existed in 1486. A tradition reports that Canon Boissonnot, who wrote, early in the 20th century, a monumental history of the cathedral, dates the construction of the actual main organ case to 1521. It was given to the new archbishop Martin de Beaune. For the moment, no document confirms this tradition. On the other hand, it is now established that the organ, that had been severely damaged by the Protestants in 1562, is restored and enlarged, in 1585, by André Delahaye (composer and organbuilder in Sens), and then in 1593, by Guillaume Lefebvre (composer and organbuilder in Mans).

Although the tradition attributes the enlargement of the organ case and the building of a back positive to Crespin Carlier, famous 17th-century organbuilder, we now know that Jean Girardet, organbuilder in Angers, carried out important works in 1611 and Victor Lefebvre quasi reconstructed the instrument in 1619-1620. In 1621, the organ has one 38-note manual, 14 stops and 9 pedals. In 1642, the instrument is overhauled by Nicolas Bricet, organbuilder in Tours. It is finally in 1762 that the actual back positive is built. Antoine Morlet, organbuilder in Mans, installs 15 stops in the new positive while he enlargs the main organ to 18 stops, builds a pedal division with 4 stops and 33 notes, and adds an echo manual with 5 stops and a mounted Cornet. The organ case is oil-painted oak wood color.

Major works were carried out in 1733 that are attributed to Louis-Alexandre Clicquot. In 1764, Jean-Baptiste Nicolas Lefebvre, who just completed, in St. Martin Basilica, the largest organ ever built in France under the Old Regime, carried out works and in 1771, works we carried out by Jean-Baptiste Isnard. In 1785, François-Henri Clicquot installed, in the positive division, a treble Oboe.

At the end of the 19th century, following overhauls by Louis Lair in 1812, by Claude brothers in 1836, and by Merklin in 1875, the organ is still in the 1785 state with 43 stops over four manuals and pedal. At an unspecified date, the organ case is painted dark brown.

In 1911, Rev. Victor Tronchet brings the number of stops down to 34 and the positive division is enclosed with the addition of a few romantic stops. In 1928-1929, the organ is completely transformed by Gloton-Debierre who empties the positive division and rebuilds a 40-stop post-symphonic instrument, with electro-pneumatic action while preserving only 887 old pipes and the whole façade is now silent.

In December 1984, the organ case and the oldest pipework are classified "historical landmark".

From 1985 to 1989, the instrument being out of breath, studies and financing plans are considered for a complete rebuilding in order to restore the classical action while maintaining a "romantic" swell. While scraping the organ case, the original 17th-century oak wood color was uncovered and applied to the whole organ case. The rebuilding was carried out from 1992 to 1996 by Daniel Kern.

The new instrument was inaugurated in October 1996 by Philippe Lefebvre, Olivier Vernet, Pascal Marsault and Jean Guillou.

Gérard Proust
Titular organist

Source: (visit link)
Other web site: (visit link)

[F] D'importants documents découverts, en février 1997, par J.M. Gorry, chargé de mission pour l'étude des archives dans le cadre de l'inventaire des orgues de la Région Centre, ont complètement renouvelé l'histoire de l'instrument aux XVIè et XVIIè siècles.

Un orgue, dont on ne sait rien, existait en 1486. Une tradition rapportée par le chanoine Boissonnot, qui a écrit au début de ce siècle une monumentale histoire de la cathédrale, fait remonter la construction du grand corps du buffet actuel à 1521. Il aurait été offert par le nouvel archevêque Martin de Beaune. Aucun document n'a, pour l'instant, confirmé cette tradition. En revanche, il est maintenant établi que l'orgue, après avoir été gravement endommagé par les protestants en 1562, est relevé et amélioré, en 1585, par André Delahaye (compositeur et facteur d'orgues à Sens), puis en 1593, par Guillaume Lefebvre (composition et facteur d'orgues au Mans).

Alors que la tradition attribuait à Crespin Carlier, célèbre facteur du XVIIè siècle, l'agrandissement du buffet et la construction du positif de dos, on sait maintenant que Jean Girardet, facteur d'orgues à Angers, réalise, en 1611, d'importants travaux, et qu'en 1619 et 1620, Victor Lefebvre effectue une quasi-reconstruction. En 1621, l'orgue comporte un clavier de 38 notes, 14 jeux et 9 pédales. En 1642, un relevage est assuré par Nicolas Bricet, facteur d'orgues à Tours. C'est finalement en 1762, qu'est construit le positif de dos actuel et qu'Antoine Morlet, facteur d'orgues au Mans, y place 15 jeux en même temps qu'il porte le grand orgue à 18 jeux et construit une pédale de 4 jeux et 33 touches, un clavier d'écho de 5 jeux et un cornet séparé. L'ensemble du buffet est peint couleur bois de chêne, à l'huile.

D'importants travaux ont lieu en 1733, lesquels sont attribués à Louis-Alexandre Clicquot. En 1764 et 1771, intervient Jean-Baptiste Nicolas Lefebvre, qui vient de terminer, dans la basilique Saint-Martin toute proche, le plus grand orgue jamais construit, en France, sous l'Ancien Régime. En 1785, François-Henri Clicquot installe, au positif, un dessus de hautbois.

À la fin du XIXè siècle, après les relevages de Louis Lair en 1812, des frères Claude en 1836 et de Merklin en 1875, l'orgue est toujours dans son état de 1785 avec 43 jeux répartis sur quatre claviers et pédalier. À une date indéterminée, le buffet est repeint en marron foncé.

En 1911, l'abbé Victor Tronchet réduit le nombre de jeux à 34 et rend le positif expressif en y installant quelques jeux romantiques. En 1928-1929, l'orgue est complètement transformé par la maison Gloton-Debierre, qui vide le positif de sa tuyauterie et reconstruit un instrument de style post-symphonique de 40 jeux, à transmission électro-pneumatique, en ne conservant que 887 tuyaux anciens, dont l'intégralité de la façade, rendue muette.

En décembre 1984, le buffet et la tuyauterie la plus ancienne sont classés "monument historique".

De 1985 à 1989, l'instrument étant à bout de souffle, des études et plans de financement sont mis en place concernant une reconstruction complète visant à rétablir la partie classique, tout en maintenant un récit "romantique". Le décapage du buffet a permis de retrouver des traces de peinture couleur "bois de chêne" si bien que la boiserie a retrouvé, aujourd'hui, sa teinte du XVIIè siècle. Cette reconstruction a été effectuée de 1992 à 1996 par Daniel Kern.

Le nouvel instrument a été inauguré, en octobre 1996, par Philippe Lefebvre, Olivier Vernet, Pascal Marsault et Jean Guillou.

Gérard Proust
Organiste titulaire

Source : (visit link)
Autre site Web : (visit link)


I/ POSITIF DE DOS
Montre 8
Bourdon 8
Dessus de Flûte 8
Prestant 4
Flûte 4
Nazard 2 2/3
Doublette 2
Quarte de nazard 2
Tierce 1 3/5
Larigot 1 1/3
Fourniture III
Cymbale III
Cornet V
Trompette 8
Cromorne 8
Voix Humaine 8
Hautbois 8
Clairon 4

II/ GRAND-ORGUE
Montre 16
Bourdon 16
Montre 8
Bourdon 8
Viole de Gambe 8
Prestant 4
Flûte 4
Grande Tierce 3 1/5
Nazard 2 2/3
Doublette 2
Quarte de nazard 2
Tierce 1 3/5
Flageolet 1
Grosse Fourniture II
Fourniture IV
Cymbale III
Grand Cornet V
Bombarde 16
Trompette 8
Clairon 4

III/ RECIT EXPRESSIF
Flûte harmonique 8
Bourdon 8
Gambe 8
Voix Céleste 8
Flûte octaviante 4
Octavin 2
Cornet V
Trompette 8
Basson-Hautbois 8
Voix Humaine 8
Clairon 4

PEDALE
Soubasse 32
Flûte 16
Flûte 8
Flûte 4
Bombarde 16
Trompette 8
Clairon 4
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Musical Instruments
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
BCLV4 visited Le Grand Orgue de la Cathédrale Saint-Gatien - Tours, France 4/21/2018 BCLV4 visited it
LeBourguignon visited Le Grand Orgue de la Cathédrale Saint-Gatien - Tours, France 5/24/2017 LeBourguignon visited it
Tromel visited Le Grand Orgue de la Cathédrale Saint-Gatien - Tours, France 2/16/2017 Tromel visited it
Chickilim visited Le Grand Orgue de la Cathédrale Saint-Gatien - Tours, France 2/14/2017 Chickilim visited it
celene37 visited Le Grand Orgue de la Cathédrale Saint-Gatien - Tours, France 2/14/2017 celene37 visited it

View all visits/logs