By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Musée du Donjon - Niort,France
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member sara et gege
N 46° 19.534 W 000° 27.909
30T E 695122 N 5133343
Quick Description: The Donjon is located in the city center of Niort. le Donjon est situé en plein centre ville de Niort.
Location: Nouvelle-Aquitaine, France
Date Posted: 1/26/2017 10:37:40 PM
Waymark Code: WMTZ5J
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member bluesnote
Views: 6

Long Description:
[EN]
MILITARY FORCE
Return in 1154. Henry Plantagenet, Count of Anjou, becomes King of England. Thanks to the dowry given him two years earlier by his new wife Eleanor of Aquitaine, his kingdom now extends over the whole of western France to England. Niort occupies a strategic position. The king decides to build a defensive military fortress there, which will assure the English power on these lands poitevines, will lock the commercial flows and control the intensive activity of the port.

The location of the Merovingian wooden castle, set on fire by the Normans, was chosen. From 1180, an imposing and austere edifice was built. It is surrounded by a 700-meter long enclosure. The Donjon is the central point with its two square towers connected by high curtains. Of Romanesque architecture, it is a quality construction, in stones of size adjusted with fine joints. But if the Keep looks powerful outside, it turns out to be poor inside. At the end of the twelfth century, one must live there in the cold, in the darkness and in the austerity. It is a base of withdrawal, and nothing else.
At the beginning of the thirteenth century, the bourgeois of Niort were besieged by the local Poitevin lords (Lusignan, Parthenay), who blocked the city and the passage of goods. The blockade lasted several years and Niort was threatened with famine. The castle, which has its own supply routes, becomes the only supply point for the city. It is also connected to Fort Foucault by a wooden bridge, but undoubtedly also to the fortified mills established on the islets in the middle of the Sèvre.

PLACE OF RESIDENCE
Since the second half of the 13th century, to make the Donjon a more comfortable place of residence, the open space between the two towers is covered and a large central room is arranged

At the end of the fourteenth century, when the city was definitely turned back to the crown of France, windows were pierced or enlarged, chimneys were created in the great seigneurial hall. Walls are painted or coated to hide the stone. The Donjon serves as a residence for the captains, then to the governors of the fortress of Niort. It gradually loses its military vocation.
After having resisted many attacks and supported all the seats, it borders on destruction. One morning in 1749, the North Tower collapsed, shaking the rest of the building. The governor of the castle, a lieutenant for the king, proposed that the whole should be demolished, and that a more modern building, more comfortable for the garrison, should be built instead. The dungeon was finally restored as early as 1751. It is from this period that the three magnificent losanged vaults of the ground floor (today called low rooms) date, models of architecture and stereotomy.

JAIL
From the 18th century, the Donjon served as a prison. English crews of sailors were sent there, the ships of which were seized. The officers are housed in the room on the first floor of the South Tower. They will not cease to engrave inscriptions in these walls to leave a trace of their passage. Restoration work was launched in 1820, parallel to the dismantling of the walls of the castle and the ramparts that enclosed the city. Classified as historical monuments in 1840, the Donjon is inhabited by families of employees of the city or used to shelter the departmental archives. In 1870, the Department left the Dungeon property to the City, but continued to occupy it until the early twentieth century.

 
ETHNOGRAPHIC MUSEUM
It is after the first national congress of ethnology organized in France, held in Niort in 1896, that the Donjon finally finds its contemporary vocation. It will house the first museum of the Poitevin costume.

 According to "Le Donjon through the centuries", article published in the magazine Vivre à Niort, n ° 130, November 2002.


[FR]
FORTERESSE MILITAIRE
Retour en 1154. Henri Plantagenêt, comte d’Anjou, devient roi d’Angleterre. Grâce à la dot que lui a apportée deux ans plus tôt sa nouvelle épouse Aliénor d’Aquitaine, son royaume s’étend désormais sur tout l’Ouest de la France jusqu’à l’Angleterre. Niort occupe une position stratégique. Le roi décide d’y bâtir une forteresse militaire défensive, qui assurera le pouvoir anglais sur ces terres poitevines, verrouillera les flux commerciaux et contrôlera l’activité intensive du port.

On choisit l’emplacement du château mérovingien en bois, incendié par les Normands. A partir de 1180, un imposant et austère édifice est construit. Il est entouré d’une enceinte longue de 700 mètres. Le Donjon en est le point central avec ses deux tours carrées reliées entre elles par de hautes courtines. D’architecture romane, c’est une construction de qualité, en pierres de taille ajustées à joints fins. Mais si le Donjon paraît puissant à l’extérieur, il se révèle pauvre à l’intérieur. En cette fin du XIIe siècle, on doit y vivre dans le froid, dans l’obscurité et dans l’austérité. C’est une base de repli, et rien d’autre.
Au début du XIIIe siècle, les bourgeois de Niort sont assiégés par les seigneurs poitevins des environs (Lusignan, Parthenay), qui bloquent la ville et le passage des marchandises. Le blocus dure plusieurs années et Niort est menacée de famine. Le château, qui possède ses propres voies d’approvisionnement, devient le seul lieu de ravitaillement de la ville. Il est en outre relié au fort Foucault par un pont de bois, mais sans doute aussi aux moulins fortifiés établis sur les îlots au milieu de la Sèvre.

LIEU DE RÉSIDENCE
Dès la seconde moitié du XIIIe siècle, pour faire du Donjon un lieu de résidence plus confortable, l’espace à ciel ouvert entre les deux tours est couvert et une grande salle centrale est aménagée

A la fin du XIVe siècle, alors que la ville est retournée définitivement à la couronne de France, des fenêtres sont percées ou agrandies, des cheminées sont créées dans la grande salle seigneuriale. On peint ou on enduit les murs pour cacher la pierre. Le Donjon sert de résidence aux capitaines, puis aux gouverneurs de la place forte de Niort. Il perd peu à peu sa vocation militaire.
Après avoir résisté à bien des attaques et supporté tous les sièges, il frôle de peu la destruction. Un matin de 1749, la tour Nord s’écroule, ébranlant le reste du bâtiment. Le gouverneur du château, lieutenant pour le roi, propose qu’on démolisse l’ensemble et qu’on construise à la place un édifice plus moderne et plus confortable pour la garnison. Le Donjon sera finalement restauré dès 1751. C’est de cette époque que datent les trois magnifiques voûtes losangées du rez-de-chaussée (dite aujourd’hui salles basses), modèles d’architecture et de stéréotomie.

PRISON
A partir du XVIIIe siècle, le Donjon sert de prison. On y envoie des équipages de marins anglais, dont les vaisseaux ont été saisis. Les officiers sont logés dans la salle du premier étage de la tour Sud. Ils n’auront de cesse de graver des inscriptions dans ces murs pour laisser une trace de leur passage. Des travaux de restauration sont lancés en 1820, parallèlement au démantèlement des enceintes du château et des remparts qui enserraient la ville. Classé au titre des monuments historiques en 1840, le Donjon est habité par des familles d’employés de la ville ou utilisé pour abriter les archives départementales. En 1870, le Département laisse la propriété du Donjon à la Ville, mais continue de l’occuper jusqu’au début du XXe siècle.


MUSÉE ETHNOGRAPHIQUE
C’est suite au premier congrès national d’ethnologie organisé en France, qui se tient à Niort en 1896, que le Donjon trouve finalement sa vocation contemporaine. Il abritera le premier musée du costume poitevin.

D’après "Le Donjon à travers les siècles ", article paru dans le magazine Vivre à Niort, n°130, novembre 2002.


Musée du Donjon
rue du Guesclin , 79000 Niort
Tél : 05 49 28 14 28 :musee@agglo-niort.fr

140‚ rue des Equarts CS28770
79027 NIORT CEDEX
T : 05 17 38 79 00
HORAIRES D'OUVERTURE DE L'ACCUEIL :
Du lundi au vendredi de 8h30 à 17h
Pendant les vacances scolaires : 8h30 à 12h30 et 13h30 à 17h


musee du Donjon : (visit link)
Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Please provide another photo of the location. You don't have to be in there shot, but you can. The photo requirement is to discourage any armchair visiting.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Satellite Imagery Oddities
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
sparadrap + tibecom visited Musée du Donjon - Niort,France 4/10/2017 sparadrap + tibecom visited it
Caty1723 visited Musée du Donjon - Niort,France 3/14/2017 Caty1723 visited it
lulu_et_compagnie visited Musée du Donjon - Niort,France 2/5/2017 lulu_et_compagnie visited it
sara et gege visited Musée du Donjon - Niort,France 2/1/2017 sara et gege visited it

View all visits/logs