Convent of the Capuchin Fathers - San Marino
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Noe1
N 43° 56.009 E 012° 26.915
33T E 295211 N 4867650
Quick Description: Convent of the Capuchin Fathers from 16th century.
Location: San Marino
Date Posted: 1/12/2017 2:45:07 PM
Waymark Code: WMTW36
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 0

Long Description:
"Built in the 16th century, it was consecrated in 1709. In the place where it stands there was a chapel dedicated to St. Quirinus, as it can be seen from the stone inscription on the façade. Inside, next to the altar, is a painting by Taddeo Zuccari depicting the Deposition of Christ. Noteworthy is the tabernacle of wood and ivory and in a chapel the painting depicting Our Lady of Lourdes, crowned by Cardinal Giovan Battista Nasalli Rocca dating from 1930. The Church, besides its ancient architecture, is well known also for several historical events which happened there. The most famous dates back to 31 July 1849 when Garibaldi, who took refuge in San Marino to escape the Austrian army, in front of this building released the soldiers of the first Roman legion. In the churchyard is the shrine dedicated to St. Francis."

source: (visit link)
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Convento dei Frati Cappuccini

Address:
Viale Federico D'urbino
Città di San Marino, San Marino


Religious affiliation: Capuchin Fathers

Date founded/constructed: 16th century

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Acitvely Used

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.