By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Église St. Alphonse-de-Liguori - Saint-Alphonse, NS
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 44° 07.258 W 066° 10.693
19T E 725776 N 4889180
Quick Description: Quite a striking building, with its twin steeples St. Alphonse-de-Liguori stands along the Evangeline Trail at the far northwestern corner of Nova Scotia.
Location: Nova Scotia, Canada
Date Posted: 1/10/2017 12:50:36 AM
Waymark Code: WMTVDK
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member fi67
Views: 2

Long Description:
A relatively new church (for the Maritimes), St. Alphonse-de-Liguori was built in 1921 by Acadian craftsmen, predominately members of the congregation. When the church was completed St. Alphonse-de-Clare Parish was created, taking in the surrounding communities of St-Alphonse-de-Clare (originally called Chéticamp), L’Anse-à-l’Ours (Bear Cove), le Cap-Ste-Marie (Cape-St-Mary’s) and the eastern part of Mavillette. Oddly for a twentieth century, at least part of the foundation on which it rests is of rubble stone. We had thought the last rubble stone foundation had been constructed by the turn of the century.

The massive twin towers, each with an octagonal belfry and spire, show a bit of Second Empire influence in the mansard roofs with flared eaves under the belfries. When built the belfries were open, with a bell in the south one, the north one vacant. Today the entire building, to the tips of the spires, is sheathed in vinyl siding and vinyl windows. Just a bit of the original wood remains visible; the vent frames in the belfries, two small rose windows in the transepts and windows in the attached hall at the rear of the building.

Behind the church is the cemetery, established concurrently with the construction of the church. Prior to 1922, the parishioners would have used the cemetery of the Stella Maris (Meteghan) Parish. Today the cemetery holds somewhere between 400 and 500 of the citizens of Saint-Alphonse and area.

Obviously proud of their church, as well they should be, Clare Township has included on their website a very nice write up on the church, which follows.

St. Alphonse-de-Clare Parish encompasses the communities of St-Alphonse-de-Clare (originally called Chéticamp), L’Anse-à-l’Ours (Bear Cove), le Cap-Ste-Marie (Cape-St-Mary’s) and the eastern part of Mavillette. The Parish was established in 1922 when the present church was built: construction began in 1921 under the direction of the Meteghan parish priest, Father Alphonse B. Côté. The cemetery is located behind the church.

The patron saint of this parish is St. Alphonse-de-Liguori but it is believed the Parish is actually named in honour of its first priest, Father Alphonse B. Côté. The land for the new church was donated by Philémon Maillet and the church was built by the parishioners under the direction of Monseigneur Côté and the architect, Jim McCauley. On December 25, 1923, the first midnight mass was celebrated in the new church.

There are three very special features to the St-Alphonse-de-Clare Parish church. The first is the grotto built out of wood (painted and distressed to look like stone) and built as a replica of the Notre-Dame-de-Lourdes grotto. A great devotion to the Blessed Virgin has always been an important factor in the religious life of the parish and of Acadians.

Photo goes Here

The second feature is the seven beautiful murals of the chancel painted in 1946 by Pius LeBlanc of Petit-Ruisseau (Little Brook) Digby County. Pius LeBlanc was born July 2, 1895; in 1912 he went to work for Stephano Genett, an Italian craftsman and painter from whom he learned the technique of marbleising. In 1924 Pius LeBlanc attended classes at Alandale Studios, Copeley Square, Boston and received diplomas in commercial illustrating (1926) and oil painting (1927). Mr. LeBlanc returned to Petit-Ruisseau (Little Brook) in 1932 and in 1946 he was commissioned by the priests of St. Alphonse to paint the murals.

The third feature is the Madonna, of carrerra marble on a grey granite base, which was erected in 1953 on the grounds outside the church.

Photo goes Here

The rectory, previously a private home, was relocated adjacent to the church in 1932.
From Clare Township

Photo goes Here Photo goes Here Photo goes Here
Photo goes Here
Église St. Alphonse-de-Liguori 1922
Photo goes Here
Église St. Alphonse-de-Liguori 2015

Type of Church: Church

Status of Building: Actively in use for worship

Date of building construction: 1/1/1921

Diocese: Diocese of Halifax-Yarmouth

6553 Highway 1
Saint-Alphonse, NS Canada
B0W 2H0

Relvant Web Site: [Web Link]

Date of organization: Not listed

Dominant Architectural Style: Not listed

Associated Shrines, Art, etc.: Not listed

Archdiocese: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
To log a visit to this waymark, you must post at least one original photo of the site, give the date and a brief description of your visit.
Search for... Google Map
Google Maps
Bing Maps Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roman Catholic Churches
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
DND.Fireman visited Église St. Alphonse-de-Liguori - Saint-Alphonse, NS 12/12/2017 DND.Fireman visited it