By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Ursulinenkloster Erfurt, TH, Germany
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member kaschper69
N 50° 58.625 E 011° 02.171
32U E 642942 N 5649250
Quick Description: The Ursuline Monastery is the second remaining monastery in Erfurt, next to the Augustinian Monastery. It is right on the river Anger in the center of the old town.
Location: Thüringen, Germany
Date Posted: 11/22/2016 3:57:27 AM
Waymark Code: WMTGJT
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member silverquill
Views: 7

Long Description:
[DE] Das Ursulinenkloster ist neben dem Augustinerkloster das zweite noch bestehende Kloster in Erfurt. Es liegt direkt am Anger im Zentrum der Altstadt.

Das Kloster wurde um 1136 mit romanischer Kirche und Fremdenhospiz für Augustiner-Chorfrauen gegründet. 1183 stellte Kaiser Friedrich Barbarossa einen Schutzbrief für das Angerkloster aus, der im Erfurter Stadtarchiv erhalten ist. Um 1200 übernahmen Magdalenerinnen, auch Weißfrauen genannt, das Kloster. Seit 1667 bis heute wird es von den Ursulinen genutzt, die ihre Hauptaufgabe in der Bildung und Erziehung von jungen Mädchen, später auch Kindern und Erwachsenen, sahen und noch sehen. Ihre diesbezügliche Tätigkeit wurde in der Zeit des „Kulturkampfs“ 1879 bis 1887, während der NS-Herrschaft und zur Zeit der SBZ und der DDR eingeschränkt oder aufgehoben.
Die heutige Klosterkirche wurde in gotischem Stil in der zweiten Hälfte des 13. Jahrhunderts errichtet, nachdem die Vorgängerkirche abgebrannt war. 1895 bis 1897 erfolgte eine „gründliche Renovierung“ der Kirche. Dabei wurden die Grabplatten Erfurter Patrizierfamilien aus dem Boden der Kirche gelöst und im Kleinen Angerfriedhof aufgestellt. 1935 wurde die Klosterkirche erneut eingehend renoviert. Bei einem Bombenangriff am 20. Juli 1944 brannte sie dann völlig aus. Beim Wiederaufbau wurden Raum und Ausstattung neu gefasst, alle Stuckdekoration weggelassen. Bilder und Plastiken kamen aus anderen katholischen Einrichtungen. Ab 1950 konnten wieder Gottesdienste stattfinden. Die Wiederaufbauarbeiten dauerten bis 1958. Nach der Wende wurde die Kirche gründlich restauriert.
Noch aus der Gründungszeit des Klosters um 1136 stammt die Bruchsteinmauer des Konventsgebäudes. Danach erfolgten über die Jahrhunderte zahlreiche Neu- und Erweiterungsbauten. 1672 und 1712/13 wurden die Klosterräume im barocken Stil ausgestaltet. Als einziges Kloster Erfurts wurde das Ursulinenkloster bei der Säkularisation in Preußen 1821 nicht aufgehoben. 1854 wurde ein neues Schulgebäude errichtet, 1904 bis 1906 ein weiteres großes in der Trommsdorfstraße. Dieses diente von 1914 bis 1919 als Lazarett. Heute beherbergt es die katholische Edith-Stein-Schule. 1939 nahm das Kloster Flüchtlinge aus dem Saargebiet, 1944 bis 1946 aus den Ostgebieten auf. Bei dem Luftangriff 1944 wurden auch die Klostergebäude stark beschädigt, in der DDR-Zeit dann – teilweise einsturzgefährdet – „in mühsamer, langwieriger Kleinarbeit erhalten“. 1967 plante die Stadtverwaltung Erfurt eine Beseitigung des Klosters und den Bau von Schulgebäuden auf diesem Gelände. In den Jahren 2004 bis 2008 erfolgte eine großzügige äußere und innere Sanierung aller Klostergebäude. Diese Leistung wurde mit dem Thüringischen Denkmalschutzpreis ausgezeichnet und ermöglicht unter anderem durch einen Förderverein Ursulinenkloster, das Bonifatiuswerk der Deutschen Katholiken und Spenden früherer Schülerinnen. Die Grabplatten stehen jetzt im Innenhof des Klosters.

Quelle: (visit link)

[EN] The Ursuline Monastery is the second remaining monastery in Erfurt, next to the Augustinian Monastery. It is right on the river Anger in the center of the old town.

The monastery was founded around 1136 with a Romanesque church and a strangerhospiz for Augustiner-Chorfrauen. In 1183 Kaiser Friedrich Barbarossa issued a letter of protection for the Angerkloster, which is preserved in the Erfurt City Archives. Around 1200, Magdalenians, also known as white women, took over the monastery. From 1667 until today it has been used by the Ursulines who saw and still see their main task in the education and upbringing of young girls, later also children and adults. Their activity in this area was restricted or abolished during the period of "Kulturkampf" (1879-1887), during the Nazi regime and during the time of the Soviet occupation and the GDR.
The present monastery church was built in gothic style in the second half of the 13th century, after the predecessor church burnt down. 1895 to 1897 a "thorough renovation" of the church took place. The grave plates of Erfurt patrician families were loosened from the ground of the church and placed in the Kleiner Angerfriedhof. In 1935, the monastery church was again thoroughly renovated. In a bomb attack on July 20, 1944, it burned completely. During reconstruction, space and equipment were redesigned, all stucco decoration omitted. Pictures and sculptures came from other Catholic institutions. From 1950 onwards, worship services were held. The reconstruction work lasted until 1958. After the reunion, the church was thoroughly restored.
Even from the founding of the monastery around 1136, the walls of the convent were built. Numerous new buildings and extensions were built over the centuries. In 1672 and 1712/13, the monastery rooms were designed in baroque style. The Ursuline monastery was not the only convent in Erfurt to be secularized in Prussia in 1821. In 1854 a new school building was built, 1904 to 1906 another large in the Trommsdorfstraße. This served as a hospital from 1914 to 1919. Today, it houses the Catholic Edith-stone school. In 1939 the monastery took refugees from the Saar area, 1944 to 1946 from the eastern territories. During the air attack in 1944, the monastery buildings were also severely damaged, and in the GDR period they were partly "at a disadvantage in lengthy work". In 1967, the city administration of Erfurt planned an elimination of the monastery and the construction of school buildings on this site. Between 2004 and 2008, a large external and internal renovation of all monastery buildings took place. This achievement has been awarded the Thuringian Conservation Prize and, among other things, thanks to a sponsoring association Ursulinenkloster, the Bonifatiuswerk of the German Catholics and donations from former pupils. The grave slabs are now in the courtyard of the monastery.

Source: (visit link)
Full name of the abbey/monastery/convent: Ursulinenkloster Erfurt

Address:
Anger 5
Erfurt,
99084


Religious affiliation: catholic

Web Site: [Web Link]

Status of Use: Acitvely Used

Date founded/constructed: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Describe your visit, including the date, with as much detail as possible, AND contribute at least ONE PHOTO, original, different from those already in the gallery, if possible.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Abbeys, Convents and Monasteries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
jotheonly visited Ursulinenkloster Erfurt, TH, Germany 8/13/2018 jotheonly visited it
*Team Krombaer* visited Ursulinenkloster Erfurt, TH, Germany 1/6/2017 *Team Krombaer* visited it
*Team Krombaer* visited Ursulinenkloster Erfurt, TH, Germany 1/1/2017 *Team Krombaer* visited it
kaschper69 visited Ursulinenkloster Erfurt, TH, Germany 11/22/2016 kaschper69 visited it

View all visits/logs