By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Old Harrison Federal Building - Harrison, Arkansas
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 36° 13.859 W 093° 06.434
15S E 490363 N 4009573
Quick Description: This three-story red brick building is located at 201 N Main in Harrison, Ar.
Location: Arkansas, United States
Date Posted: 11/5/2016 7:43:41 PM
Waymark Code: WMTDBZ
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Sneakin Deacon
Views: 2

Long Description:
The Old Federal Building, constructed in 1905 at 201 N Main Street on the northwest corner of the courthouse square is another anchor in the district. This highly visible three-story building is rectangular shaped with brick veneer. The building features Classical Revival style design elements such as cast concrete keystones, pedimented second story windows and a dentiled cornice. The building is now owned and occupied by Boone County.

- Arkansas Preservation



On February 27, 1904, it was announced that Harrison would have a new government building. City fathers were elated, and considered the area very fortunate to be the beneficiary of a small part of Uncle Sam's $20 million building boom. One must realize that this announcement came only three years after Stephenson Street had been opened from the square to the railroad depot. Even then, a plank sidewalk - instead of stone - led to the depot. So you can see, our town was still in the early stages of growth and improvement.

Architects stated that the building would be of hard-burned, dark red brick, with white mortar and facings of hard limestone, sandstone or granite and terra cotta cornices.

But in March 1904, government architects, finding that stone trimmings (instead of terra cotta) would come within the amount of the appropriation, asked the successful bidder to amend his bid. Having rejected the lowest bid, the government accepted the bid of the Shackleton Construction Company of Butte, Montana for $78,863.

Specs on the building included the following: It was 90 x 56 feet; three stories and a basement, which would extend several feet above the ground line and general ornamentation would be a quiet classic style, but at the same time, be massive and imposing. The basement would be finished in cement and plaster in good style, and be occupied principally by the engine and heating apparatus, with room for the engineer, janitor, fuel, etc.

The first floor was 16 feet high and was occupied by the post office. It had a large public lobby with tiled floors and marble wainscoting, a large work room, two large vaults, restrooms (called closets at that time) with hot and cold water, and a private office for the postmaster.

The second floor was devoted to the United States Court. The main room was 30 x 50 feet and reached to full height of the second and third stories. Seven rooms furnished offices for the judge, U.S. marshal, district attorney, clerk and witnesses. The third floor was occupied by the Government Land Office and furnished a main hall and four large rooms for the officers and clerks.

A wonderful, tall flag pole stood 90 feet in the air, some 30 feet higher than the building, which was fitted throughout for both electric and gas lighting. But here is one fact I found very disturbing: Sewer pipes were laid for discharge at the creek below town. Ugh. Thank goodness, this was changes years later when the city sewer plant was built.

With work completed in Harrison, contractor J. W. Shackleton and J. W. Middleton, who were in charge of cement and plaster work on the building, left on the train for Tulsa, Indian Territory, on May 12, 1906, where they had another large building contract waiting for them.

- Boone County Historical & Railroad Society, Inc.



Resource Number: BO0005
Address: 201 N MAIN STREET
Nearest Town: HARRISON
Contributing: C
Construction Year: 1905

- Arkansas Preservation

Year Built: 1905

Current Use of Building: County Offices

Level of Courts: Federal

Architect: unknown

Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1905-2000

Physical Address:
201 N Main Street Harrison, Ar 72601


Hours:
8am-4:30pm M-F


Related Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Courthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
Where's George visited Old Harrison Federal Building - Harrison, Arkansas 3/1/2014 Where's George visited it