By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Boone County Courthouse - Harrison, Arkansas
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member iconions
N 36° 13.825 W 093° 06.479
15S E 490296 N 4009510
Quick Description: This two-story red brick building is located at 100 N Main in Harrison, Ar.
Location: Arkansas, United States
Date Posted: 11/4/2016 12:08:04 AM
Waymark Code: WMTCZF
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Sneakin Deacon
Views: 1

Long Description:
From the County Website:
(visit link)

"The first courthouse was built in 1870-1871, a little over one year after Boone County was formed from territory taken from the east side of Carroll County and a small strip on the west side of Marion County. The location of the first courthouse and the present one has remained the same through the years. On July 5, 1908, a fire destroyed the first courthouse. On October 10, 1908, a resolution was unanimously adopted providing for the early erection, upon the old site in the public square at Harrison, a fire-proof courthouse building, including all the modern conveniences of steam heat, water etc., and not to exceed $35,000. Active work on the new courthouse began on November 07, 1908 – some 38 years after the county began the construction of the former courthouse. In 1870, $15,000 was a lot of money – but $35,000 in 1908 was a staggering amount, and County Judge J.B. Curnutt and the Quorum Court made a decision that provided our county with a courthouse that has lasted for decades and will continue to do so for decades to come."

From Wikipedia:
(visit link)

"The Boone County Courthouse is a historic courthouse on Courthouse Square in Harrison, Arkansas. It is a two story brick structure, designed by noted Arkansas architect Charles L. Thompson and built in 1907. It is Georgian Revival in style, with a hip roof above a course of dentil molding, and bands of cast stone that mark the floor levels of the building. It has a projecting gabled entry section, three bays wide, with brick pilasters separating the center entrance from the flanking windows. The gable end has a dentillated pediment, and has a bullseye window at the center.

The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1976."

Inscription on the Cornerstone:

Boone County Court House.
Erected in the Year 1909.
James B Curnutt, County Judge.

Commissioners
J.R. Holt
J.B. Eagle
J.H. Richesin

Chas. L. Thompson, Architect.

Contractors
A.M. Byrnes
C.H. McCauley
Year Built: 1909

Current Use of Building: Courthouse

Level of Courts: County

Architect: Charles L. Thompson

Dates this building was used to house judicial proceedings: 1909 - present

Physical Address:
100 W Main Harrison, Ar. 72601


Hours:
8am-5pm M-F


Related Website: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
At least one original photograph should be added to the gallery. And please describe your impressions and visit to the courthouse.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Courthouses
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log User Rating  
stevepre2 visited Boone County Courthouse - Harrison, Arkansas 7/18/2019 stevepre2 visited it
TerraViators visited Boone County Courthouse - Harrison, Arkansas 5/28/2018 TerraViators visited it

View all visits/logs