N 40° 43.622 W 080° 36.742
17T E 532734 N 4508528
Quick Description: Ohio State Historical Marker located on Echo Dell Road in Beaver Creek State Park, Columbiana County, Ohio, commemorating the Gaston’s Mill.
Location: Ohio, United States
Date Posted: 9/12/2006 9:58:33 PM
Waymark Code: WMQAP
Built in 1830 by Samuel Conkle, Gaston’s Mill was owned and operated by eight men chief among whom was Philander Gaston. The last operator was Levi Hickman. Power for the mill was originally supplied by water, later by steam and gas engines. Operation was discontinued in the 1920’s.
The restored mill sits adjacent to the historical marker at Echo Dell Road in Beaver Creek State Park, Columbiana County, Ohio. The marker and mill are located about 4 miles northwest of Calcutta, Ohio. The mill is open to the public and the internal mechanisms actually work although we did not see a grind stone. There are various displays of tools and old artifacts. The mill has been restored rather nicely. A large parking lot is directly across the road from the marker and mill.
NOTE TO PARENTS: Do not allow young children to access the mill unattended. There are large rotating shafts, and gears, and some open stair wells.
The marker and mill are situated with Thomas J. Malone Bridge, which is featured on the reverse side of this marker. A log cabin, early 19th century church and school are also on display at this site on the State Park grounds. All of the displayed structures including the bridge have been nicely restored.
For more information on Gaston’s Mill and Beaver Creek State Park see the links below.
Brenda Krekeler, OHIO'S OLD MILLS TODAY, “Gaston’s Mill
Beaver Creek State Park: