Campo de Concentração do Tarrafal - Tarrafal, Cape Verde
Posted by: Torgut
N 15° 15.809 W 023° 44.615
27P E 205310 N 1689327
Quick Description: This is a place full of History. It was a prison built by the Portuguese, first to jail their own political prisoners, later to enclose African political prisoners.
Location: Cape Verde
Date Posted: 12/30/2015 1:50:01 PM
Waymark Code: WMQ6Q9
The concentration camp started in 1936, receiving a batch of 156 political prisoners shipped from Portugal. The camp was shut down in 1954 due to international political pressure. But it re-opened in 1961 - the year of the slaughtery of civilians in Angola committed by the first guerrilla movement to start armed operations. This time the prisoners would be African intellectuals, a different kind of political prisoners. The prison remained active until 1974, when the Portuguese revolution took place, one year before the independence of Cape Verde.
Nowadays it can be fully visited and some of the units have displays, like a museum.
Excellent Wikipedia article: