N 37° 24.373 W 077° 16.165
18S E 299141 N 4142354
Quick Description: Turkey Island was named by Captain Christopher Newport for the large number of wild turkeys he found there.
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 9/11/2006 3:35:36 AM
Waymark Code: WMQ67
Soon after landing at Jamestown in May 1607, Captain Christopher Newport, while exploring the James River, discovered Turkey Island (two miles south). He named it for the large number of wild turkeys there. In 1684, William Randolph purchased Turkey Island; it then became the seat of the Randolph family. His descendants included Thomas Jefferson, John Marshall, and Robert E. Lee. Robert Pickett acquired Turkey Island in 1836. During the Civil War, the large family dwelling was burned by Union troops. Maj. Gen. George E. Pickett and his family lived there in a small cottage after the war.
Marker Number: V 5
Marker Title: Turkey Island
Marker Location: Rt5
County or Independent City: Henrico County
Marker Program Sponsor: Department of Historic Resources, 1994.
Web Site: Not listed