By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby House
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Rivers End
N 38° 42.684 W 077° 47.437
18S E 257355 N 4288448
Quick Description: Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby House in Historic Warrenton, Virginia
Location: Virginia, United States
Date Posted: 8/28/2006 9:35:44 AM
Waymark Code: WMNQP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member tiki-4
Views: 77

Long Description:
C 92 Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby House

This classic Italian Villa-style house was completed in 1861 for Fauquier County judge Edward M. Spilman. James Keith, who later served as president of Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals (1895 -1916), acquired it in 1869. John Singleton Mosby purchased the dwelling in 1869. Mosby, a Confederate Colonel, commanded the Partisan Rangers (43rd Battalion, Virginia Cavalry) which raided Union outposts, communications and supply lines in Northern Virginia (1863 - 1865). Eppa Hunton, a Confederate brigadier general, lawyer, a member of the U.S. Congress House (1873 - 1881) and Senate (1892 - 1895), bought the house in 1877 and owned it until 1902.

The Department of Historical Resources

Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby house is a National Register of Historic Places property known as a ‘commodious example of the Italianate Villa style located in the heart of the community of Warrenton, Virginia.’ Brentmoor was built in 1859-1861, for Edward M. Spilman, a judge of the Fauquier County Circuit Court. The Spilman family sold the house in the early 1870s to James Keith, who served as president of the Virginia Court of Appeals and John Singleton Mosby’s law partner in Warrenton
In 1875 the property was purchased by John S. Mosby, the Confederate ranger who was then Northern Virginia’s best known citizen. During the Civil War, Colonel Mosby and his small band of partisans outwitted and outfought the Union Army to the extent that the region from the Potomac to the Shenandoah Valley became known as “Mosby’s Confederacy.” His cool, quiet courage and the almost unvarying success of every enterprise which he personally conducted secured the perfect confidence of his men, noted one of Mosby’s Rangers.
Following the death of his wife Pauline and youngest child, Mosby sold the house in 1877 to former Confederate general Eppa Hunton, who then represented the district in Congress.
In his pattern book, The Architecture of Country Houses (1850), Andrew Jackson Downing illustrated a design for a house resembling Brentmoor which he described as a “simple, rational, convenient, and economic dwelling for the southern part of the Union.”

The Historical Marker is located on the front lawn of the site. It appears to be a fairly new addition to the VA Historical Markers. This museum is just starting to get off the ground with renovations still on going. Their may be a fee to enter the home. Check website for hours and days open. Located in Old Town Warrenton, Virginia on Main Street.




Marker Number: C 92

Marker Title: Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby House

Marker Location: 175 Block of Main Street

County or Independent City: Warrenton

Web Site: [Web Link]

Marker Program Sponsor: Department of Historical Resources

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Virginia Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
Date Logged Log  
Rivers End visited Brentmoor: The Spilman-Mosby House 9/30/2006 Rivers End visited it

View all visits/logs