New Hampshire State House - Concord, NH
N 43° 12.420 W 071° 32.262
19T E 293847 N 4786928
Quick Description: The New Hampshire State House, located in the historic downtown area of Concord, is the oldest state capitol in the United States in which the legislature still meets in its original chambers.
Location: New Hampshire, United States
Date Posted: 8/26/2006 4:57:15 PM
Waymark Code: WMNGA
The New Hampshire State House was constructed during the period from 1815 to 1818. The building itself, built for an approximate cost of $82,000, is made primarily of granite quarried from what is known today as the Swenson quarries located at the north end of the town. Much of the cutting, shaping and facing of the
stones was performed by inmates of the New Hampshire State Prison for Men.
One of the most impressive features of the new building was its huge gold-painted wooden eagle, placed on the Capitol dome in 1818 (the original wooden eagle was replaced in 1957, but can still be seen today in the Tuck Library at the New Hampshire Historical Society
First session of the General Court began in 1819. Renovations to the building began in 1864 and were completed in 1866 at cost of approximately $200,000. Further renovations, including the addition of a third floor and updating of the building's electrical systems, took place in 1909.
On several occasions, the larger city of Manchester (located 15 miles south of Concord) has made attempts to get the capital relocated there, but in each instance, the State Legislature voted against the move, despite generous financial offers.
Today, the State House is home to the New Hampshire General Court, the Governor, and the Executive Council. Many other state administrative operations are housed in the State House Annex (constructed in 1938), located across the street. An underground tunnel connects the two buildings.