Fort Allen - Plaque
N 40° 16.743 W 079° 35.498
17T E 619728 N 4459681
Quick Description: State Historical Plaque placed on a stone monument at The St John’s Harrold Reformed United Church of Christ in Hempfield Township, Pennsylvania commemorating the frontier fort known as Fort Allen.
Location: Pennsylvania, United States
Date Posted: 8/22/2006 6:41:06 PM
Waymark Code: WMN31
MARKER TEXT: Built and commanded by Col. Christopher Truby, officer of the revolution, was located 150 yards to the south of this marker. A frontier Fort of Dunmore's War 1774, the Indian War, and the War of the Revolution, It was also known as Truby's Blockhouse. (Additional text not noted in the PHMC website) From here a petition to Governor John Penn sent by eighty inhabitants of Westmoreland County headed by Wendel Oury asked for aid in the threatened Indian uprising of 1774.
This plaque is mounted in a stone monument on the grounds of the St John’s Harrold Reformed United Church of Christ located at the corner of St John Church Road and Baltzer Meyer Pike in Hempfield Township, Pennsylvania. There is also a roadside State Historical Marker at Baltzer Meyer Pike and Pennsylvania Route 136 about three tenths of mile north of the church. (coordinates N40º 17.009’ W79º 35.544’)
Estimating 150 yards to the south, we figure that the fort must have been in the present day Harrold Middle School ball field on the hill above the church. See photos. We could not find very much information on the web about Fort Allen, but there is a small article from Pittsburgh Tribune Review about the fort in the website below. If you do a web search for more information be aware of the fact that there is a Fort Allen army installation in Puerto Rico, and there was another historic Fort Allen in eastern Pennsylvania near Bethlehem.
Related Waymark: Fort Allen (Sign) WMN3B: