By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Pacific Hotel - Greenwood, BC - 1907
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 05.283 W 118° 40.655
11U E 377516 N 5438599
Quick Description: The Pacific Hotel placed many ads in the three local papers of the time, this one on page two of the June 6th, 1907 edition of The Greenwood Ledge.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 10/25/2014 1:02:56 PM
Waymark Code: WMMQCY
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TheBeanTeam
Views: 1

Long Description:
Greenwood was just one of dozens of mining towns which sprang up in the boundary country of southern BC in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Some of the first buildings to go up were several wood frame hotels, such as The Pioneer, The Imperial, The Windsor and this one, The Pacific. It was built the first time around 1896, the second time in 1899 and the third time in 1907. Third time must have been a charm, as it is still with us today.

Today it still holds artefacts from its time as a World War II Japanese internment building but is no longer operate as a hotel. On the ground floor is the Pacific Grille, a country style restaurant which has gotten a mess of rave reviews at Trip Adviser.

309 S. Copper - Pacific Hotel
ca.1907 (Pacific Grill Restaurant)

Twice the Pacific Hotel was nearly destroyed by fire, in 1899 and 1907 and rebuilt each time. The building was never as elaborate as the Windsor. During World War II it housed over 200 Japanese-Canadians and was known as Internment Building #1. It was known as the Harbor Hotel in the movie"Snow Falling on Cedars:' It is now home to the Pacific Grill, one of the Boundary's finest restaurants.
From the Greenwood Heritage Walk

Pacific

Pacific Hotel

Twice the Pacific was nearly destroyed by fire, in 1899 and 1907, and each time it was rebuilt. This building was never elaborate like the Windsor. Its claim to fame came during the Second World War. The Pacific Hotel was designated Internment Building #1 and became home to over 200 Japanese Canadians.

Fires for heat or cooking were simply not allowed in the overcrowded, poorly heated rooms, but centrally located Canadian army field stoves were on each floor. Due to the extreme fire hazard, residents appointed their own watchman to patrol the building. Many remnants of the these difficult years remain on the second and third floors. In 1957, when wartime restrictions on Japanese Canadians ended, the building was purchased by Wong "Shorty" Lee. His family operated it as a successful restaurant for many years.
From the plaque on the building

Name of publication (required):
The Greenwood Ledge


Date of Publication (required):
June 6, 1907


Does the ad identify the location of the company?: no

Web URL to additional proof of location or additional information.: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Share your thoughts or memories of the location. You must have visited this location in person to post a visit.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Vintage Ad Locations
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.