By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

The Windsor Hotel (1896) - Greenwood, BC
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 05.285 W 118° 40.661
11U E 377509 N 5438603
Quick Description: The Windsor Hotel placed this ad on page five of the December 19th, 1896 issue of the Boundary Creek Times of Greenwood, BC. This was the year the hotel was built the first time and the first year of publication for the newspaper.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 10/25/2014 11:27:11 AM
Waymark Code: WMMQCP
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TheBeanTeam
Views: 1

Long Description:
The windsor was probly the grandest and largest hotel of the times in Greenwood. Built in 1896, it didn't receive its third floor until 1898 when it was sold to E.S. Barnard for $9000. The building seen today is a reconstruction of the 1896-1898 building, built in 1899 after being almost completely destroyed by fire.

Today the building, no longer operated as a hotel, houses the oldest continuously operating pub in BC as well as the Copper Eagle Bakery, where one may partake of Coffee and Tea, Desserts and Ice Cream, Bakery items, Gluten-Free, and even Free WIFI.

Windsor Hotel 321 S. Copper
(Greenwood Inn Saloon)

The Windsor Hotel houses one of the longest operating pubs in British Columbia. This is the third Windsor Hotel on this site. The first two both burned down prior to 1899. The spokes on the projecting balconies, contrasting timbering and decorative cornices make it the most elaborate wood frame building in Greenwood. The upper floors were used in 1998 as Ishmael Chambers apartment in "Snow Falling on Cedars" and called the San Piedro Island Inn.
From the Greenwood Heritage Walk

BCT

Windsor

Windsor Hotel 1899

The Windsor Hotel houses the longest operating pub in British Columbia. Inspired by the huge success of the Pioneer, Greenwood's first hotel, in just two months Sam Webb and George Seymour built this two story, false-fronted hotel and named it the Windsor. It was a major undertaking. Building supplies in 1896 were in short supply and high demand.

In 1898 the Windsor was sold to wealthy Victoria businessman E.S. Barnard for $9000 cash, who added a third story to the structure. The following year it was virtually destroyed by fire, yet was rebuilt in the original fine style that exists today. The spokes on the projecting balconies, contrasting timbering and decorative conics make it the most elaborate wood frame building in Greenwood.
From the plaque on the building

Name of publication (required):
Boundary Creek Times


Date of Publication (required):
December 19, 1896


Does the ad identify the location of the company?: no

Web URL to additional proof of location or additional information.: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Share your thoughts or memories of the location. You must have visited this location in person to post a visit.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Vintage Ad Locations
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.