Posted by: mikemtn
N 32° 35.362 W 080° 55.762
17S E 506628 N 3605767
Quick Description: Marker 27-18 Coosawhatchie located on Hwy 462 at the RR tracks in Coosawhatchie South Carolina. Erected by Citizens and friends of Coosawhatchie in 2001.
Location: South Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 8/19/2006 3:41:49 PM
Waymark Code: WMMQ8
Text front: Coosawhatchie, dating to the 1740's, as named for the Coosaw tribe. At first it was little more than a store and inn built on the King's Highway by Henry DeSaussure, a Huguenot settler from Purrysburg. By the 1760's it was a regional trading post and crossroads. During the Revolution British troops burned most of the buildings and the nearby bridge in a 1779 raid.
Text reverse: Coosawhatchie served as the capitol of Beaufort District from 1789 to 1836, when a new courthouse was built in Gillisonville. In 1861-62 Gen Robert E. Lee, commanding the Confederate Dept. of S.C. and Ga., had his headquarters here. In 1864, during the last months of the Civil War, several skirmishes were fought nearby. This has been a village of farmers and merchants ever since.
Marker Name: COOSAHATCHIE
Marker Location: Roadside
Type of Marker: Battle (war)
Marker number: Not listed
County: Not listed
A picture of the marker taken by you or specific details of the site.