By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

P. Burns and Co. Ltd. - Greenwood, BC - 1907
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member BK-Hunters
N 49° 05.301 W 118° 40.650
11U E 377523 N 5438632
Quick Description: This Burns & Co. ad is from page two of the Thursday, August 24th, 1907 edition of The Phoenix Pioneer. Pat Burns, the Alberta Beef Baron, bought this building at 301 Copper Street, on the corner of Greenwood and Copper Streets in 1907.
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Date Posted: 10/23/2014 7:01:50 PM
Waymark Code: WMMQ59
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member TheBeanTeam
Views: 0

Long Description:
The Phoenix Pioneer was published in the vanished town of Phoenix, directly up Phoenix Mountain east of Greenwood. It was the mining town while Greenwood was the smelting town. The town slowly dwindled to almost nothing in the 1920s and 1930s, then was totally obliterated in the 1950s when the mines were reopened as an open pit mine. The mine completely swallowed up the town of Phoenix.

Greenwood was just one of dozens of mining towns which sprang up in the boundary country of southern BC in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Pat Burns built outlets in each and every one of these towns of any size, a tiny few of which still stand. After purchasing the building on the corner of Copper and Greenwood, Burns made it his Boundary Area headquarters. After being sold by Burns the building housed a variety of retail businesses but is empty as of today. That we know of, Burns Buildings are still extant in the mining towns of Greenwood, Rossland and Nelson, Nelson having been the area headquarters for Burns. P. Burns & Co. (later changed to Burns Foods) had by this time become western Canada's largest meatpacking company.

Ledge

301 S. Copper Street
Greenwood Trading Co. 1897

301 S. Copper - Greenwood Trading Co. 1897 (Pat Burns Meat Market) Louis Ostrosky, a German immigrant, built the Greenwood Trading Co. in 1897. The building operated as a general store until 1907. In 1907 it was purchased by R Burns and Co. of Calgary, Alberta and operated as a meat market for many years.The addition to the left was built in the late 1960's. The sign Petersen's Grocery is from the movie "Snow Falling on Cedars!"
From the Greenwood Heritage Walk

Burns Bldg

Name of publication (required):
The Phoenix Pioneer


Date of Publication (required):
Saturday, August 24th, 1907


Does the ad identify the location of the company?: no

Web URL to additional proof of location or additional information.: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
Share your thoughts or memories of the location. You must have visited this location in person to post a visit.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Vintage Ad Locations
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.