By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Old College, University of Edinburgh - Edinburgh, Scotland
Posted by: Groundspeak Premium Member Marine Biologist
N 55° 56.854 W 003° 11.238
30U E 488302 N 6200259
Quick Description: Old College, a building of the University of Edinburgh, currently houses parts of the University's administration, the University of Edinburgh School of Law, and the Talbot Rice Gallery.
Location: Southern Scotland, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 8/30/2014 3:45:00 PM
Waymark Code: WMMCBB
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member lumbricus
Views: 1

Long Description:
"Old College is a building of the University of Edinburgh, Scotland. It is located on South Bridge, and presently houses parts of the University's administration, the University of Edinburgh School of Law, and the Talbot Rice Gallery. Originally called the "New College", it was designed by Robert Adam to replace a number of older buildings.

History

In 1789 subscriptions were raised to fund a new university building in Edinburgh to a plan prepared by Robert Adam, to replace an existing collection of dilapidated buildings of the University. The foundation stone was laid in November of that year for what was proposed as a building with a "First Court", giving access to professor's lodgings, followed by a Great Court, around which the main academic halls and lecture rooms would be arranged. By the end of 1791 several apartments were in use, but in the following year the death of Robert Adam and the outbreak of the Napoleonic Wars and the imposition of income tax slowed, then halted progress. In 1815 further funds were raised, and work recommenced. Plans were submitted by nine architects showing their proposals to continue the design work, with the outcome that William Henry Playfair was appointed architect in 1817. Playfair's design clove close to Adam's but combined the two courts into a single large quadrangle. By 1827 the building was virtually complete with the exception of fitting out the library, and construction of a dome which Adam had proposed at the east end of the building. This was left out as a cost saving, and the work was completed about four years later. The dome was added in 1887, to a design by Sir Robert Rowand Anderson, and funded by a donation from Gorgie industrialist and politician, Robert Cox. The gilded statue of Youth which crowns the dome is by John Hutchison.

The large bronze war memorial at the west end of the quadrangle is by Pilkington Jackson (1923).

The quadrangle was never completed at the time the College was originally constructed. However, based on a proposal from architects Simpson & Brown the quadrangle now contains a central grass lawn encircled by a paved terrace of honey-coloured stone. The new quadrangle is both a venue for graduation celebrations and festival events, as well as providing a more inviting entrance for the Talbot Rice Gallery."

--Wikipedia (visit link)
Wikipedia Url: [Web Link]

Visit Instructions:
To post a visit log to this waymark you need to visit and write about the actual physical location. Any pictures you take at the location would be great, as well.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Wikipedia Entries
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.