Old Waynesborough Park - a Historical Village in Goldsboro, NC
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member fullxr
N 35° 22.495 W 078° 00.769
17S E 771376 N 3918719
Quick Description: The village of Waynesborough existed from the late 1700s until the mid-1800s and was reportedly named after "Mad Anthony" Wayne, one of George Washington's trusted generals. From the early 1980s until 1999, the property where the village was once located was a North Carolina State Park. Today, the site is operated by the Old Waynesborough Commission and offers a visitor center, historic buildings, trails and fishing on the Neuse River. The property is open to the public and admission is free!
Location: North Carolina, United States
Date Posted: 8/2/2014 11:12:45 AM
Waymark Code: WMM70B
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member Outspoken1
Views: 0

Long Description:
Old Waynesborough Visitor Center offers historic and tourist information. Gifts and souvenirs are available.

The 150 acre park has 9 relocated historic buildings from the area:
*Bethany Friends (Quaker) Meeting House (1878),
*Doctor John Bryan Kennedy's Office (1905),
*Fairmcloth Law Office (1868),
*General Store (1924),
*Park Hill School (1911),
*Print Shop (1920),
*Roberts School (late 1800s),
*Salem Grange (1890), and the
*Wiggins House (early 1900s).
The buildings are open for self-guided tours during business hours. Some may be rented for events.

The Churchill-Cogdell Cemetery is located on park property and has six grave markers from 1844-1904.

There are 4 trails providing several miles of hiking, bicycling and birdwatching. One of the trails features an old hay barn and a smoke house. A scenic overlook of the Neuse River can be found toward the back of the property. The river is available for kayaking and fishing (NC fishing license required).

Primitive tent camping may be permitted with prior permission from the Visitor Center staff.

A shaded picnic area with about a dozen tables and a gazebo is located next to the driveway to the Visitor Center. A blacksmith's shop is nearby.

The park opens year 'round at 8:00 am except Sundays when it opens at 1:00 pm. From April through October, the historic village is open until 5:00 pm. The hiking trails are open until 9:00 pm. From November through March, the village and trails close at 4:00 pm.

Dogs are allowed if on a leash.

Be sure to visit the photo gallery for this Waymark. Add photos of your favorite sites, family, friends, pets and events.

Looking for a place to volunteer? Stop by or call for information.

For more information, visit www.oldwaynesborough.org or call 919-731-1653. Old Waynesborough Park is located at 801 US 117 Bypass South, Goldsboro, NC 27530.
Price of Admission: 0.00 (listed in local currency)

Roadside Attractions Website: [Web Link]

Weekday Hours: Not listed

Weekend Hours: Not listed

Location Website: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
When posting a new log for a waymark, please include a picture if there isn't one included on the original posting. Add your thoughts about the roadside attraction and let everyone know if it is worth while stopping to see.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Roadside Attractions
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.