By using this site, you agree to its use of cookies as provided in our policy.

Bethlehem Historical Marker
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Walt_Felix
N 41° 38.222 W 073° 12.533
18T E 649178 N 4611026
Quick Description: Historical marker about Bethlehem, Connecticut and the settlement of the area. The marker is located outside the town hall on Route 61.
Location: Connecticut, United States
Date Posted: 4/26/2014 1:13:48 PM
Waymark Code: WMKKE7
Published By: Groundspeak Premium Member vhasler
Views: 2

Long Description:
Side One:

The spring session of the 1703 General Assembly granted to the town of Woodbury the right to enlarge is bounds. Negotiations with the Indian inhabitants were successfully concluded and in 1710 a deed of sale, signed by Nunawague and five other chiefs, conveyed to Woodbury nearly eighteen thousand acres, known thereafter as North Purchase. This included the present town of Bethlehem and parts of later Judea, now Washington. Surveyed in 1723 and, after proprietors were granted their rights, divided into lots, it was opened for sale. Pioneers arrived in 1734, settling on the heights northeast of the present center. In 1738 young Joseph Bellamy was called to preach during "winter privileges". Separate "society privileges" were granted in October, 1739. Bellamy was requested to continue as pastor, and so remained until his death in 1790, as the settlers established their own Bethlehem Church and school.

Side Two:

Dr. Bellamy became a most distinguished author, preacher and teacher, conducting the first theological school in America. Young men lived in the Bellamy home while he grounded them in his brand of scriptural interpretation and preaching methods. Among future leaders who studied there were Aaron Burr, Jonathon Edwards II, and James Morris. Bethlehem men served in the French and Indian and all subsequent wars. Numerous are the captains and lieutenants buried in the Old Cemetery.
Bethlehem was incorporated as a separate town in 1787. Mainly a farming community until the 1900's, it had sufficient water power for 18th century industries - fulling mills, cotton mill, woolen mill, wagon factory, straw hat and bonnet factory and miscellaneous manufactories of leather goods.

Erected by the town of Bethlehem
the Old Bethlehem Historical Society, Inc.
ant the Connecticut Historical Commission.
1976
Marker Name: Bethlehem Historical Marker

Marker Type: Roadside

Date Dedicated / Placed: 1976

Additional Information: Not listed

Visit Instructions:
Visits require a photo of the marker or some location referenced in the text. Please also provide what you've learned about this piece of Connecticut history. Inform us.
Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Trails.com Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Connecticut Historical Markers
Nearest Geocaches
Nearest Benchmarks
Nearest Hotels
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.