1887 - Public Library - Clarence Street, Cheltenham, UK
Posted by: Groundspeak Regular Member Master Mariner
N 51° 54.080 W 002° 04.697
30U E 563414 N 5750465
This 1887 building is on the north east side of Clarence Street in Cheltenham.
Waymark Code: WMKHD9
Location: Southern England, United Kingdom
Date Posted: 04/16/2014
Published By:Groundspeak Premium Member saopaulo1
Views: 1

The building, that is a library, museum and art gallery is Grade II listed with the entry at the English Heritage website telling us:

Library, museum and art gallery with attached railings. Begun 1888-9. Architects: WH Knight and Chatters. Ashlar over brick with tile roof. Mixed Renaissance styles.

EXTERIOR: 2 storeys on high plinth. Front subdivided, by pilasters, corner piers to central break, into 3:3:3:1:1 bays. Three stage tower to right with pepperpot corner finials and ogee cap. Central set back gable with statue of Shakespeare. Continuous stone balustrade at parapet with central memorial cartouche. Mullion and transom windows, those on first floor with arched transom lights and pedimented cornices. Centre piece has keyed segmental arch above stepped windows with Venetian tracery and engaged Ionic portico in antis below with arched door and flanking windows. Extra 2-window, single-storey bay to right of tower. Entrance to Art Gallery in tower.

INTERIOR: retains original joinery and plasterwork including panelled doors and dogleg staircase with carved newels and shaped balusters. Library entrance hall at left has arched openings on moulded imposts.

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: return to St George's Place has area railings with elongated pyramidal caps and taller stanchions, fluted bars. The modern extension to the south-east is not of special architectural or historic interest.

HISTORICAL NOTE: In 1899 Baron de Ferrieres donated to the town his collection of Old Master paintings and £1,500 towards an art gallery in which to display them. Originally the buildings served as both a free library and the schools of Art and Science, which upper rooms were, by 1907, occupied by the Museum. Occupies a good corner site, forming part of a distinguished group of Victorian buildings.

Year of construction: 1887

Full inscription:
AD 1887


Cross-listed waymark: Not listed

Visit Instructions:

When logging a visit to a waymark in this category, please provide one or more photos taken by yourself, and note down your impressions and any background information you may have.

Search for...
Geocaching.com Google Map
Google Maps
MapQuest
Bing Maps
Nearest Waymarks
Nearest Dated Buildings and Cornerstones
Nearest Geocaches
Create a scavenger hunt using this waymark as the center point
Recent Visits/Logs:
There are no logs for this waymark yet.